Floor boards

Scottie

Did you use a router to make the tongue and groove ?

I went for half-lap rather than tongue and groove, as it's easier to get a single board up if you ever need to for access to cables and pipes. It does mean that you can't hide the fixings, but I was quite happy with exposed brass screw heads as I don't mind 'honest' fixings being visible. Yes I did use a router, and would do so for tongue and groove too. It's only a cheap router, but I buy decent quality TREND cutters. There's a cutter which has a bearing below it, so you can run along an edge - change the bearing to change the cut width. I used boards finished at an inch and took half inch deep by 3/8 inch wide cuts out, which worked fine. The last room I did was with 12ft boards and I reckon it took under a minute to go down a board, so edging the lot for a 20ft x 12ft room in 6in width boards only took a couple of hours.

The next lot will be a bit more of a challenge - upstairs will be reinstating elm boards of semi-random widths, up to about a foot wide and I'm also on the lookout for a load of brown oak of suitable dimensions to make 8.5in widths x 10ft long.

Alec

IN that case your floor must have got very damp. Wood expands when wet, not when dry. To have expanded like that- ie that fast and after that amount of time, (and i have seen that before) it must have got wet from a burst pipe or somethig similar.

No sorry. It happened when my parents went on holiday. The only difference was the heating wasnt on as much. There was no leaks, nothing. The only explanation i could think of, is that it sort of 'sweated'. But when i took the floor up it was still dry.

had this from a tree I removed.

Had it dried and tongued

some boards 4 inch wide up to 16 inch which I feel shows it,s not shop bought but I love it to bits.

Also had the skirting boards from same tree.

Even though it was kiln dried it still shrank but ripped out a board in the middle and wacked em all up and put a wider board back.

treated with glanglaze which was allegedly the best for the job and lasts ages tbh

16072007027.jpg.987811717018be2bbd2e44b68ea7a7bb.jpg

16072007023.jpg.e3e71286424a76ccdfcd838e78ef80ee.jpg

Edited by bob
added a bit

• 1 month later...