Pto winch on landy

Matthew Storrs

so it sounds like it would be best if i just concentrated on winching rather than driving other implements of it to keep things simple, any particular winches recommended? im looking at the superwinch h14w, its about £1200, plus winch cable, pto conversion, fairlead rollers etc, probably £2000 would cover it i think.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so it sounds like it would be best if i just concentrated on winching rather than driving other implements of it to keep things simple, any particular winches recommended? im looking at the superwinch h14w, its about £1200, plus winch cable, pto conversion, fairlead rollers etc, probably £2000 would cover it i think.

If you arent going to do anything else with hydraulics, then get a PTO winch. You have been refering to these all along, but in fact you have been talking about PTO driven hydraulic winches.

I have a PTO h14w on my landy. It is the best winch you can put on a landy, or in fact pretty much any vehicle up to 7.5 tonne IMO. It runs off the transfer box, and is unstoppable, and will never overheat- even a hyd winch will give up in the end- plus you have loads and loads of horsepower.

I paid £700 second hand for mine, about 10 years ago, and other than a new oil seal and an oil change, havent touched it since.:thumbup1:

If you arent going to do anything else with hydraulics, then get a PTO winch. You have been refering to these all along, but in fact you have been talking about PTO driven hydraulic winches.

I have a PTO h14w on my landy. It is the best winch you can put on a landy, or in fact pretty much any vehicle up to 7.5 tonne IMO. It runs off the transfer box, and is unstoppable, and will never overheat- even a hyd winch will give up in the end- plus you have loads and loads of horsepower.

I paid £700 second hand for mine, about 10 years ago, and other than a new oil seal and an oil change, havent touched it since.:thumbup1:

Sorry to be a bit thick but i fail to see the difference, PTO winch is direct drive to the winch im guessing?

Yep as you say if a hydraulic winch lasts ten years plus it'l work out far cheaper then having to buy several electric ones in that time. My mate has an electric one we use, I always wonder on long pulls how long it can go on before it overheats or water gets into it etc.

YO are absolutely correct DRS. PTO winches have a shaft from the transfer box straight into the back of the winch. Dont get me wrong, the hydraulic version of the h14w is awesome, and I would doubt that any of us in our work would notice any loss of power. Electric winches are, IMO after having had a few, a total and utter waste of money.....fine for pre-tensioning for a fell etc, but useless for the likes of skidding timber, or any use which put a big pull on them for prolonged periods as the solenoids and eventually the motors wear out.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello I am new here but found your thread so thought I would offer my thoughts having spent a few years fixing them.

For real work, forget electric as these are mostly rated for one pull per hour as the motor will use 4-600 amps and get hot, not to mention the battery drain.

Hydraulics are great but you need a tank, and it must be big enough to keep the oil cool or you will need a cooler, can you see the list growing? filters etc.

Hydraulic is the most versatile but its the most expensive to set up properly, they will work with powersteering pumps but they will over heat easily if ran by this method.

PTO is just an add on to the gear box so your engine does all the work, they are the most simple winch, less to go wrong and easy to fix.

I have just stripped one to inspect before I sell it, its about 40 years old, still works and like new inside, they are just so robust as they were made to last.

If you look at vehicles that use winches every day they are Hydraulic, fire engines , recovery trucks etc, but look at vehicles that use them all day every day and they are PTO Driven or massive Hydraulic jobs, look at national grid, Land Rovers and Unimogs

do not mean to take you all off the subject of winches but dose anyone here have a series 3 landy? I seem to have dreadful steering shake i cant quite put my finger on?

If all the ball joints and linkages are good, then this is often the preload in the swivels. Link here:

Land Rover Forum

If you look at vehicles that use winches every day they are Hydraulic, fire engines , recovery trucks etc, but look at vehicles that use them all day every day and they are PTO Driven or massive Hydraulic jobs, look at national grid, Land Rovers and Unimogs

Depends how you are going to use it. I have an electric one on my landy, and my pattern of use is "nothing for weeks, then a mad day of pulling stuff" - never had a problem with it. Other advantages of electric:

- radio usage. Hook up whatever it is, start taking in the slack while you are positioning the load. If you are guiding a big trunk you can be at the far end doing the steering.

- No need to run the engine when winching. If you have a decent deep cycle battery dedicated to the winch, you've got about a minute of hard pulling, or loads of unwinding/positioning

The killer for me is weight. Hydraulic ones weigh a lot more than electric. If you're not using it hard every day, that's a lot of steel to lug about and the fuel bill won't like it.

And other thing. The number one feature of a winch and dedicated battery is that when you have left the lights on and flattened the main battery, you can jump it from the winch battery without leaving the driver's seat!