when silky meets bridge.... ever wondered?

David Goss

Yep martyn i think steel core bridges would be a good idea. I have grazed and hit my bridge and rope a few times, luckily without any force but its scary to think what could happen with just the slightest bad move with a silky.

Like you say Hama just be careful and when you start to tire at the end of the day just be extra careful !!!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a guy died in the north sea in the last year. He had dropped througha hatch with a standard rope protector as it passed the edge his ropes were slack and gently rubbing on an edge as he walked around. he reweighted the ropes and they snapped.

sharp anything and ropes are never a good mix.

Like Balfour Beatty Say (weather they act on it) 'no job is so important you cant take the time to do it safely'.

Take care

Jamie

• 3 months later...

I never liked bridges. I use an old fashioned Willans. Don't get on with the maillon either. I'm more cautious with a Silky than with a chainsaw. Most of the cuts we get, myself included, are from Silkys. Especially when they're new. By christ don't they make you bleed. Elastoplast and sawdust are a good clotting mix though.

I'm not sure a steel core would last long given the constant bending at acute angles.

I never liked bridges. I use an old fashioned Willans. Don't get on with the maillon either. I'm more cautious with a Silky than with a chainsaw. Most of the cuts we get, myself included, are from Silkys. Especially when they're new. By christ don't they make you bleed. Elastoplast and sawdust are a good clotting mix though.

I'm not sure a steel core would last long given the constant bending at acute angles.

I hear you there, I have never had a cut with a chainsaw but a silky will bite so easily. I used to use a willans but I am so glad I don't now, they are so uncomfy for the slim types like me.

Like Hama said - it doesnt really matter what you do - it will always be dangerous.

Its just about making it as safe as possible - I think cored bridges would be a good idea. The bridge is a single connection between you and all of your climbing ropes and hardware - this fails your down the creek without a paddle.

I have often wondered about getting a small prussik loop and connecting it to my side D with a larks foot - then placing the other end on my main climbing Krab (the one attached directly to my bridge) If the bridge failed I would simply fall the distance between my bridge and side D (a few inches) and be handing on my side from the side D - I could then negotiate a rescue.

I havent done it yet though - as other arbs I work with may think im a girl :001_tongue:

I went for the austria harness for that reason as the bridge is wide and I just feel safer with it rather than others on the market , not saying that they are any better just my preference. Time for a new harness soon and I will look for same or similar especially now after watching that cause I'm even more convinced

Like Hama said - it doesnt really matter what you do - it will always be dangerous.

Its just about making it as safe as possible - I think cored bridges would be a good idea. The bridge is a single connection between you and all of your climbing ropes and hardware - this fails your down the creek without a paddle.

I have often wondered about getting a small prussik loop and connecting it to my side D with a larks foot - then placing the other end on my main climbing Krab (the one attached directly to my bridge) If the bridge failed I would simply fall the distance between my bridge and side D (a few inches) and be handing on my side from the side D - I could then negotiate a rescue.

I havent done it yet though - as other arbs I work with may think im a girl :001_tongue:

Haha you big girl!

But it is a good idea, albeit an extra addition to your harness that you or me anyway try to keep as light and minimalistic as possible.