carpal tunnel

not for sale sorry

I found everything impossible, had to get Mum to look after me, dont know how you could cope loosing 2 hands for a few weeks, 1 was bad enough!

But it was worth the pain etc, I have no pain now, & no loss of strength in hand or any side effects, if op delayed too long you can get bad nerve damage and serious hand problems in future.

Dont know how a climber would cope, I only do ground work and logging.

• 4 weeks later...

This stuff scares me - I get a bit of tingling and pains in my wrists (especially left) and have done since before I was using machines (although chainsaws do make it worse).

I've heard that better arm strength is helpful so I'm working on exercises (no, not that way!) with those wrist exercisers you can get. Other than that, I wear a.v. gloves, take regular breaks and am looking at getting my own chainsaw (at work it's shared chainsaws, more often than not they're blunt and so vibrate more).

Although it's kind of comforting to see that others get it too. Especially since I'm in my early-mid 20s too! I guess if it continues this operation might be a good idea, it doesn't sound as scary as I thought it would, and it's good to hear people can go back to tree work after it (as long as they're careful).

Also, it's nice using hand-tools to save on chainsaw use and enjoying a more hands-on (and quieter) way - being up a canopy and pruning with just a silky is a relaxing way to work!

I had the operation done three years ago. I could start working (ground) after 6 weeks, but it took 4-6 months before I was fully recovered for climbing.

While your're recovering, get all the administrative work done, such as getting your website done/updated, getting Google Analytics up and running on your site, designing and producing posters and marketing campaigns, so you'll be busy once youre ready for prime time.