Any other tree surgeons with diabetes?

Shane_S

Hi everyone.

Bit of a random question I know but was just wondering if there are tree surgeons out there who have diabetes and if so how they find working with it.

I have type 1 and Im just trying to start out doing tree work. I have done a bit of work for a local tree surgeon who also has diabetes and other than making sure you eat lots we seem to plod along fine.

Do anyone have any issues with theirs or any tips etc.

Cheers :001_smile:

It may be beneficial to distinguish between type 1 and type 2 as they are lumped together in the statistics but are massively different in what causes them and their treatment. Shane, I don't have it myself but my wife does have type 1 and as long as you test your blood regularly and know what signs to look out for (Hypo & Hyper) then you should be OK.

We know a tree surgeon locally who has type 1 and has no problems; my daughter took type 1 earlier this year and it has been very positive for us seeing other folk with type 1 getting on with normal lives and careers.

My only thought would be if your insurance company might want to know?

TC

I am a surveyor with type 2 diabetes. If I know I am away from my van for any period I carry nuts and fruit as a precaution. Learn to recognise your symptons and advise people you work with what they may need to do if your levels go off and not any problem. It best to notify DVLA as well as insurance companies - if they policies are in place then the premiums should not change

Good to here some replies. Just to clear things up a bit though. I have had type 1 diabetes for 12 years and I am a very active person: rock climbing, mountain walkin, biking etc so I know how to control my own diabetes. I just wanted to hear some feedback from people who have got either type 1 or 2 to see how they go about it through work. It doesn't stop me from doing anything I want and I think that is the case for most diabetics. DVLA are aware and my car insurance is no more than "normal" however I am yet to look into public liability etc as of yet so that is a good idea.

Any more feedback would be great.

Cheers guys & girls.

Shane....you're very active, I'm assuming that will have helped you keep insulin dosages down, particularly your basal. My daughter climbs at a local wall once a week and we've found that climbing really drops her sugar levels dramatically several hours later, if we aren’t careful she would go hypo in the night. Do you change your ratios after climbing?

Thanks

TC

Yes climbing does reduce sugar levels as you use up a massive amount on energy/glucose/sugar. What I do when I go climbing is reduce the basil by 2-3 units a day or two before climbing. That should help with hypo's in the night. I do my basil injection inn the morning but I know people do theirs in the evening?!?!

Also whilst climbing or doing a similar activity, it helps me to drink fruit juice (cheap tesco own) as they are full of sugar. Then afterwards have a meal has plenty of carbohydrates. Yes I am able to reduce the dose of rapid insulin before my meal as well, usually by 2 units or so.

Now then this is only what I do so feel free to try it, however everybody is different and there may be some people coming back with comments saying you should do this or that.

Hope this will be of some benefit to your daughter and It's great to hear that there are people out there carrying on with their lives.

Thanks.

Hi i have had type 1 diabetes since i was 14, 22 now and find climbing trees one of the best things to do, I find i hardly have to inject anything all day for what I'm eating while at work.

Usually make the mistake of eating something big on the way home and not injecting before eating so its back up by the time i get home.

I also try to keep some none melting sweets in my pocket for up the tree just incase.

But agree with the fruit juice, seems to keep you going.

I try to aim for my sugar levels to be around 10 before i start as doesn't take to long for them to start getting low.