Alternative to Blakes

WorcsWuss

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Helical bro

I've got some cords out on my kitchen table having a go at that now Drew.

The only problem I see is actually tying the thing.

I use 11mm Aeris & my split tail is 13mm Gecko which seems to present some issues with setting it properly.

I'm going to go out to my workshop and hang the line up and try it with the proper kit, the prusik cord I have been using won't take it very well....

I'll try it with some cord & a buntline onto a crab as well instead of the gecko.

Might need to invest in some 10mm Ocean, and if I get e2e it's there if [when!] I decide to go to a HC...

one final thing, that is a closed hitch i.e. both legs must be attached to your krab, unlike your blakes which is only attached on one leg.

Tom,

You gave me some advice about this a few weeks ago and I still have not tried it:001_huh:

Can you tell me:

Roughly how long to cut the cord, if tying fishermens?

Also, is it still ok to clip the bowline into the krab with the Knut/combo or am I going to need another Krab in the set up?

Cheers,

Ben

Well I've had a go at tying the helical, I reckon I could learn to love it.

It's a bugger to set, as it implies in the knot guide it's either wrong, wrong or with loads of fiddling, right.

Having dangled from the rafters it seems that if I run it up and down the line a few times before weighting it then it sets quite nicely.

I do think I need a thinner cord though, on 11mm rope a 13mm tail is too big.

Not sure how I can set up a pulley to self tend either, will have to experiment with that...

Anyone else climb[ed] on a helical?

Tom,

You gave me some advice about this a few weeks ago and I still have not tried it:001_huh:

Can you tell me:

Roughly how long to cut the cord, if tying fishermens?

Also, is it still ok to clip the bowline into the krab with the Knut/combo or am I going to need another Krab in the set up?

Cheers,

Ben

Its hard to say, thicker cord makes a bigger knot and therefore uses up more length. Best to tie 1 fisherman's then your hitch, get the length where you want it, then tie the other fisherman's, then trim off the excess. After that undo it all and measure the cord and make a note of it. Then you will always know for next time. As a guide I'd start with 1.5m:001_smile:

Its hard to say, thicker cord makes a bigger knot and therefore uses up more length. Best to tie 1 fisherman's then your hitch, get the length where you want it, then tie the other fisherman's, then trim off the excess. After that undo it all and measure the cord and make a note of it. Then you will always know for next time. As a guide I'd start with 1.5m:001_smile:

Yeah, will start with 1.5m.

How about the terminal knot and krabs? Is there enough room to clip your bowline into the same Krab? I doubt it. Will give it a go.:001_smile: