Mans best friend

welwell

Hey Andrew. I have down loaded two of Russel's papers and have read one of them so far. I think I have the thrust of his ideas and have heard them before in slightly different terms. Very interesting and I'm sure very seductive. All is well until he suggests that the self exists outside of oneself and by doing so is then able to shoe horn god into the theory.

I think it comes down to how you perceive God, god or gods....

I would not consider myself a particularly religions person or a believer in God in the Westernised sense of the word. Christianity is too corrupted and Catholicised in a dictatorial way that does not sit easy with me.

The more I read the more I see sense in the traditional spirituality of the eastern cultures that maintain cohesion between humans and their environment, by bestowing a simple respect for live.

However, I cannot see myself adhering to one or other doctrine, but rather dipping in to aspects that are constructive with consideration to the fulfilment of a productive life….

I do believe that western society has lost contact with its natural ecology and our relationship with our own ecosystem has been distorted by artificial creations. This disconnection is contributing fundamentally to our influence on the changing climate and how the earth is reacting to the overpopulation of humans running riot over its surface.

Getting back to the thread, I think our relationship with the other animals that we share this planet with is indicative of our personal engagement (or lack of it) with the natural environment. I think it is not a matter of scientific fact or fiction as to whether animals feel emotions such as love, because this is something that will always be arguable.

However, I do believe that it is important that they are given the appropriate respect with consideration to the possibility that they do feel emotion, because we cannot prove otherwise…… and that this should be regardless of whether they are pets, pests or food…..

I read "The God Delusion" once but I think he lost it about 3/4 of the way through. He's just too obsessed with religion.

That book is about religion. Consequently it's got quite a lot about it. Not sure if the autor not going of the subject could be called obsession.

I read abook about Honda motorcross bikes in the seventies. There wasn't a single chapter on eggs. Because the author was obsessed about 70's Honda Motorcross bikes.

He's a biologist.

I think it comes down to how you perceive God, god or gods....

I would not consider myself a particularly religions person or a believer in God in the Westernised sense of the word. Christianity is too corrupted and Catholicised in a dictatorial way that does not sit easy with me.

The more I read the more I see sense in the traditional spirituality of the eastern cultures that maintain cohesion between humans and their environment, by bestowing a simple respect for live.

However, I cannot see myself adhering to one or other doctrine, but rather dipping in to aspects that are constructive with consideration to the fulfilment of a productive life….

I do believe that western society has lost contact with its natural ecology and our relationship with our own ecosystem has been distorted by artificial creations. This disconnection is contributing fundamentally to our influence on the changing climate and how the earth is reacting to the overpopulation of humans running riot over its surface.

Getting back to the thread, I think our relationship with the other animals that we share this planet with is indicative of our personal engagement (or lack of it) with the natural environment. I think it is not a matter of scientific fact or fiction as to whether animals feel emotions such as love, because this is something that will always be arguable.

However, I do believe that it is important that they are given the appropriate respect with consideration to the possibility that they do feel emotion, because we cannot prove otherwise…… and that this should be regardless of whether they are pets, pests or food…..

You hippy you. Hahahaha. Fair point about animals there. But in the canine dystopian future, you'll be glad of the rebels like me who never trusted them.

George w oof will have his paw on the button you mark my words.

Out.

That book is about religion. Consequently it's got quite a lot about it. Not sure if the autor not going of the subject could be called obsession.

I read abook about Honda motorcross bikes in the seventies. There wasn't a single chapter on eggs. Because the author was obsessed about 70's Honda Motorcross bikes.

He's a biologist.

Lol yes I gathered that.

I cant take anyone serious who is an extremist one way or the other.

Would you listen to an extreme Islamic activist?

Seriously? ...... I thought this was about dogs.

Yes, but such decisions and associations also says a lot about an individuals character (emotionally and spiritually), it therefore follows that it is something to consider, even if some will only deal with it subconsciously.

A simile decision / choice as to whether you are a cat person or a dog person, or make no distinction between either (for or against), says a lot about your personality.

Personally I am defiantly a dog person and only tolerate cats…….