Sliding D's

WorcsWuss

I use a Treehopper harness with a fixed bridge.

I can see the advantage of a replaceable bridge, but can someone explain the advantages of sliding D's on said bridge?

The Harkie harness which I really quite fancy has a pair of them and I was just wondering if there is anything which makes them a great thing to have?

Thanks guys

Simon

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The sliding ds make it far easier to twist in the tree for example if ur reaching out to cut a branch off as your rope doesnt reach across you but pulls of from the side, hard to explain, but I use a willans which doesnt have sliding dees, but some times it is hard to twist your body round when there is tension on your climbing line.:001_smile:

Sliding Ds allow you to be suspended from a point that isn't central ie. around your navel.

As said above, it means you can reach out while your line holds you from a point near your hip.

Most bridges allow this, sliding Ds provide a dedicated point of attachment instead of the krab sliding along the bridge by itself.

What about on the petzel harness if you add the swivels, do those slide across the bridge in the same fashion as the sliding rings?

Sent from my aye phone using Tapatalk

As above, yes. But a problem arose when I tried a swivel with my Sequoia.

I was hoping to get round the problem of twisted lines by adding a swivel - but found that the addition of said swivel moved my hitchclimber further from me than I wanted (I'm not very tall).

Having swapped one problem with another, I reverted back to 'no swivel' and just paid more attention to rope management.

So it is just an alternative to a crab. Do you anchor straight on with your line or clip on with a crab to the rings?

I would imagine most climbers clip on with a krab.

Although Harkie refer to them as Ds, they are infact rings - this might add the option of clipping more than one krab into a ring. I'm not familiar with the harness so wouldn't know if the size of the ring would facilitate this.

It's worth noting that adding a D or ring to a bridge turns a hichclimber 90 degrees - placing the slack-tending hand behind the hitchclimber and not to one side or the other.