Mountain marathon

Paul Barton

Anyone else up at the OMM this weekend? I made it up on Friday, camped there and started the race on Saturday morning.

We retired early afternoon as the conditions were getting too atrocious for us. Felt like a bit of a wuss until I saw the news later on! Reckon if we hadn't of left when we did I would still be there sheltering somewhere!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love it when the weather all goes hellish. as long as I'm on a nice bit of a mountain and not gripped up on some desperate sandbagged route. Knowing that it will all eventually end and I can have a pint next to a fire makes it seem bearable. Not seen the news, but listening to it all day. Sounds a touch nasty.

It's great that all came down safe and sound. The tales around a pint tonight will be great. Kind of jealous of the experience. Having been through the same myself. Not sure about what the police had to say. what's been the Mountain rescue point of view on the decision to carry on with the event. sorry I'm assuming you know all.

A bit of a close one for some now doubt. Honister mine (where some ended up spending the night) had over 100 mm of rain yesterday. The wind was howling down here so on the tops would've been hard to stand never mind run!

I think bailing out was the better option, especially as most people skimp on the kit to keep the weight down, I know I used to!

It makes you wonder what might have happened, as I've heard reports of the MRT landrover not being able to get through the floods and the chopper being grounded by the wind, but hey, no body died.

If your going to give it a bash, try the LAMM (if it's still sponsored by Lowe Alpine) or the Saunders (local to the lakes) both smaller events with better feel than following several hundred from point to point in the OMM. LAMM try to doing something special each year, on Skye ridge, steam train across Rannoch Moor for the start, ferry crossings outside Fort William.

Which bit is the IT band?

its a tendon that runs from hip down to your shin bone. it's most commonly iritated over the end of your thight bone. the problem is exaserbated (sp) from suat like movements and high impact. i seem to get better for so long then it comes back.

i was just getting happy with my running. i was able to run and look at the views.

Jamie