Harness first aid kit?

Arran Turner

Don't worry about toxins etc. if you have to use a CAT it will save their life! You priority is to save life and not to worry about infection etc! If you don't use it they will probably bleed to death. If you have ever seen a severed femoral artery you will no how much blood loss can occur. Let the hospital deal with the aftercare. If you don't use it they may bleed to death, if you do there is a very small chance they could loose a limb but they will live! A small set of hemostats are invaluable.

Don't worry about toxins etc. if you have to use a CAT it will save their life! You priority is to save life and not to worry about infection etc! If you don't use it they will probably bleed to death. If you have ever seen a severed femoral artery you will no how much blood loss can occur. Let the hospital deal with the aftercare. If you don't use it they may bleed to death, if you do there is a very small chance they could loose a limb but they will live! A small set of hemostats are invaluable.

When a cats needed its obvious, but there are lots of cases of people panicking at the sight of blood, people apply tourniquets an add complications to whats actually a fairly superficial wound!

I'm just saying be aware of when and when not to use it, I think cats and quickclot should compulsory items for Arb team kits!

Yes preserve life by any means , I've used my belt and a filthy tshirt on a radial artery bleed, all was good! :D

Deer man, you are spot on. I have just got back from Afghan, forget the old fashioned rope, tie bandage tourniquet- simply they don't work especially once the casualty starts to get moved. The CAT is awesome for stopping arterial bleeding, but by Christ you need to do it tight, it will hurt more than the injury if applied correctly! Like you say a life saver!

In terms of stopping agents Celox is the way forward imo, but you need to push it right in the wound so unlikely to be a one man task, keep it on the ground. Along with some FFDs, I can't see what other major first aid kit you need. Possibly a pelvic splint as they are so versatile...

Deer man, you are spot on. I have just got back from Afghan, forget the old fashioned rope, tie bandage tourniquet- simply they don't work especially once the casualty starts to get moved. The CAT is awesome for stopping arterial bleeding, but by Christ you need to do it tight, it will hurt more than the injury if applied correctly! Like you say a life saver!

In terms of stopping agents Celox is the way forward imo, but you need to push it right in the wound so unlikely to be a one man task, keep it on the ground. Along with some FFDs, I can't see what other major first aid kit you need. Possibly a pelvic splint as they are so versatile...

Possibly a neck collar?

good to see some current military first aid practice getting passed down to us tree men. Lets face it, some of the places we work are pretty remote, if the worse happens YOU need to keep your mate alive or vice versa!

Deer man is indeed spot on! However I think the real issue is training, I recently one of those first at work courses cos my 14 yrs in army counts for nothing in civvi street! Out of 24 of company employees I was the only one who had a clue! Not a sinle person knew CPR or even basic first aid procedures prior to the course! This stuff should be taught from an early age and be put into the school curriculum.

The following week I was first on scene when a child was run over by a bus not a sinle person could offer any real help I had to control the incident and attend casualty at same time! Even when police arrived they weren't much better! Thank god for my army training n experience is all I can say!!

Out of 24 of company employees I was the only one who had a clue! Not a sinle person knew CPR or even basic first aid procedures prior to the course! This stuff should be taught from an early age and be put into the school curriculum.

In Denmark, you cannot be admitted to the CS30/CS31 equivalent training courses without holding an up to date First Aid certification (which includes CPR). That solves the problem (for arborists, at least)