Monterey cypress reduction %

Boy English

Evening all, ive been and looked at a large Monterey Cypress today.. I was wondering if anyone could let me know how they cope with reductions ?.. the trees around 70ft good and healthy but is overpowering the garden,

Any advice on a rather harsh but safe percentage? or is it best to remove a little each year? :confused1:

Hi there,

I've limited (previous) expereince with MCs but, bearing in mind it's a fairly vigorous species and presuming it has good individual vitality with no too much Coryneum Canker, it should tolerate upto a 30% crown volume reduction (remembering that accroding to BS3998 (2010) this roughly equate to a 12% linear length and should be specified as such.)

As with all tree pruning, ideally, should you wish to exceed this amount then a phased approach is often best.

Hope this helps.

Cheers..

Paul

Hi there,

I've limited (previous) expereince with MCs but, bearing in mind it's a fairly vigorous species and presuming it has good individual vitality with no too much Coryneum Canker, it should tolerate upto a 30% crown volume reduction (remembering that accroding to BS3998 (2010) this roughly equate to a 12% linear length and should be specified as such.)

As with all tree pruning, ideally, should you wish to exceed this amount then a phased approach is often best.

Hope this helps.

Cheers..

Paul

another excellent piece of info :thumbup1:

Second that.

ive talked them through both procedures (lift & thin or reduction) gave a quote for both so they have the option..

they were asking if i would have it down!! but with the only access being a personal gate 100yds away im keen on leaving as much standing as possible..:thumbup1: