uses for a lot of unseasoned sawdust

offgridchris

now that ive set up a more stationary mill in the woods im accumulating a large pile of unseasoned sawdust from milling with a chainsaw.

i was going to give some of it away to friends with small pets, but apparently its bad for their eyes or something.

so the next thought is to just collect it up and bung it in a hot rayburn?

all i can find on the net is for dust with a low mosture content. i may collect in hessian sacks and leave for next year?

at least the chickens love it.

i cant believe people Haven't got a use for it.

any ideas?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found the most appropriate use for wet sawdust is the construction of large and increasingly annoying piles that get in the way and are without any use.

When sawn, the sawdust is saturated with water. Add a little rain and it's more water than wood. Up to now I've really no use for it.

I mix mine with the autumn leaves which really accelerates rotting. By spring it's broken down and ready to use as a mulch. Probably saleable, but all mine goes round the fruit trees (over a sheet of cardboard) to keep the weeds off.

Alec

Need to be careful with hardwood sawdust with poultry as it gets stuck in respiratory system, can be fatal. Shavings ok though. Softwood safer.

I get bags of the stuff from firewood processing, dry it a bit wrap in newspaper and burn like brickettes, means more wood to sell and we keep warm as well. But a bit messy.

If you have a woodburner in workshopWorkshop woodburner (not another bottle tho!) - MIG Welding Forum like this type with a down pipe that gets air under the sawdust It will go for hours on a fill up. Maybe an idea for a kiln Big J?

I often produce 2 or 3 cu on a saturday from the chain on the processor. we put it in 80 litre dustbins and get it in a large incinerator about 3 metres long asap before it gets any wetter. You need to mix with joinery of cuts other wise it wil just smoke the place out. We used to cut kiln dried skirting boards on the hakki for kindling production but even this you could not give away. I have even let it compost down then hired a 14 yard skip to get rid of it.