False anchor

mikecotterill

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not too high final cut but I don't have any ladders and it's a drag across a golf course with gear so the less equipment the better.

Anyone recommend a pulley or will any do? Cheers mike

Ok, so there are no branches left to stand on or hang a rope over and you are worried about how to get the rope/saver down again... I'm more concerned over where you are going to stand and how you will be attached to the tree when you make the final cuts?

Ok, so there are no branches left to stand on or hang a rope over and you are worried about how to get the rope/saver down again... I'm more concerned over where you are going to stand and how you will be attached to the tree when you make the final cuts?

This is why I put the thread up so I could find out how to anchor on the stem, I can choker a sling on to stand on aswell when making the last cut put it's getting down after that I was stuck on, cheers for replies

yeah this is always a bit of a problem... i have an extra long cambium saver to wrap around. or... (this is a bit long winded) you could choke off your main line with an alpine butterfly and decend on a karabiner with an italian hitch backed up with a french prussic to your leg loop, this is a system i picked up from rock climbing but works well in a tree. and for your feet a long sling to step in to is fine!

sorry didn't read it was a pollard, i'm gessing it's on softwood , usualy the bark's that rough that you can wrap your saver round and if it dosen't meet thats perfect as your weight will pull it tight on the way down and it grips and dosen't slip same as a timber hitch.

or just shimmy down on your strop to the ladders(unless it's like 60ft finish height)

leg loops are realy good for the final cut though , tree officers don't mind if you leave a growth point to get down on perhaps 5in diameter and 1 1/2in protruding, (using it as a stopper). thats rope around the trunk though not directly off that point.

This is why I put the thread up so I could find out how to anchor on the stem, I can choker a sling on to stand on aswell when making the last cut put it's getting down after that I was stuck on, cheers for replies

So you'll be cutting up at head height or above while standing in a sling? Seems like a hell of a lot of trouble and a far from ideal method when a ladder would solve it all simply and safely. I know ladders aren't pc anymore but so what? In this particular case a ladder seems to me to be the answer, it can hardly be dangerous if you are flip lined on at the top with the foot trodden or dug in, and you have a steady platform to stand on. I also appreciate your logistical problem but consider: borrow a ladder and if you have to walk, use the ladder as a stretcher to carry in the rest of your kit. There is no shame in using a ladder in appropriate situations, it is inappropriate situations that lead to accidents.

choker your climbing line round stem using bowline with a long tail for retrieval and descend on your normal friction hitch backed up with a figure 8 as you are descending a single line.

the tail of the bowline must be long enough to reach from ground.

or use a cambium with an adjustable prussic that will tighten on to any stem.

This vid shows you how to install a cambium saver on a straight stem. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GmHWp8aCus]Installing Cambium or Friction Saver on Straight Limb - YouTube[/ame]

For simply decending on a pole I will often tie a running bowline with a long tail and descend on my normal hitch with a munter hitch as back-up. You can also clip your lanyard into the bowline tail for some extra length without the hassle of tying the knot with a long tail. If that makes sense.