Class I vs Class II Splice

Dak

Hey folks,

Been splicing both my AP and OP 8mm hitches with class I.

I know AP should technically be done class II, so thinking about giving it a go..

My question is, whats the bury like compared to a class I in terms of length and thickness?. If its more there's no point. I'd like the least stiffness going as i prefer a short hitch cord and find it alters AP's performance a bit.

How you guys reducing this with both types of splice? Is anyone doing less that 24x, if so what.. you get the idea:thumbup:

Views and advice please folks, much obliged!

:thumbup:

Hey, Ive done a couple of class 2 splices on AP but its no good if your going to be using them for prussic's as the bury is about 2x as long a class 1 splice. When i splice AP e2e I use class 1 DB splice but just adjust the bury's and make them slightly longer to compensate.

Also when your using in a climbing setup both eyes on the AP will terminate at the same point so both eyes share the load so class 1 DB splice will be plenty strong enough :)

Drew has done a heap of testing and in a climbing set up the hitch slips underload (about 1.5T i think) so to actually get something to break you have to tie a stopper knot under the pulley/hitch so that it doesn't slip.. hope this info helps, Im sure Drew will post a heap more

Ye iv'e seen Drew results but thought why not do class II but as youve stated bury 2x as long so not for me.

Thanks craig! It looked like it had a long bury thanks for claryfing.

I remember someone saying Drew or someone else was shorting their fid lengths? Speak now please haha!

Ah gotcha, I'm familiar with the 16 strand and have been doing a few double braids as per the new England PDF which I believe is class 1 (?) but hadn't seen a break down for class 2 so just curious about the difference. Longer bury by the sounds of it?

If your doing NE "eye splice" ye that's class 1, on the same list further down is a "core to core splice", that's the class 2!:thumbup1: