Right of access???

Tom D

Should you be allowed to climb a tree without permission?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Should you be allowed to climb a tree without permission?

• No way, not without asking.
    • Why not if you're not doing any harm.

Should you be allowed to climb a tree if its not yours and without the owners permission?

Lets say its in the middle of a forest not in a garden or house grounds. Lets also say you're not going to damage it in any way just climb it for fun.

I'm pretty sure its illegal ( although under new access laws rock ckimbers can climb most things they want to I think ) however im just interested to know how many would do it.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't, it's more down to respect for me than anything else.

I had a bod quoting the right to roam to me the other day when I asked him to pick up his dog shite in my wood, he would so I told him not to come through again and that's when he quoted it.

Right to roam doesn't mean you can tramp through anywhere in an urban enviroment :sneaky2:

But I would just go and ask the owner to be polite

I wouldn't, it's more down to respect for me than anything else.

I had a bod quoting the right to roam to me the other day when I asked him to pick up his dog shite in my wood, he would so I told him not to come through again and that's when he quoted it.

Right to roam doesn't mean you can tramp through anywhere in an urban enviroment :sneaky2:

But I would just go and ask the owner to be polite

"the new right of access on foot only applies to mapped areas of "open country" as defined by the Countryside and Rights of Way Act 2000(CRoW). This is currently mountain, moor, heath land, down land and registered common land."

as landowners I find we have to be able to quote things back Dean. theres one for next time :thumbup1:

I imagine it would come under tresspass laws. Tresspass is only a civil offence ie you can't be prosecuted unless you cause damage which becomes agravated tresspass. Agrated tresspass. This can be claimed if you break a blade of grass thats how petty it is. Personally though I don't think it would stand up in court if someone tried to prosecute for climbing a tree in a forest

have climbed trees since i was a boy (didnt need permission then!!!!!)....................now i get paid to climb em :001_cool:

i do a fair bit of "rec" climbing, my view is if it looks good, its in a quiet area then climb it:001_smile:

dawn + dusk are good times less busy bodies and "jobs worths" about:001_tongue:

As mesterh pointed out no one is going to say yes if you ask them, its a legal minefield so it realy comes down to should I do it or not.

I watched that Griff rhys? Jones thing last night about Paris, there are guys who just take it upon themselves to fix things in the city. If that means breaking and entering then they do it, (these guys got in to Notre damme to watch the dawn) they have a much better attude to risk over there. Personally I think landowners here are backed into a corner by the ambulance chasers. It'd be nice to think you could go onto someones land without breaking anything or offending anyone and do whatever you like.