Starting up a business .... ??

abigail.waddecar

Funding ,well that would be nice .I was not able to access any kind of funding. When I set up funding was of my own making through sweat and hard work and overtime . I gradually built up all my equipment and then was able to go self employed.

It's the best thing I have ever done

Good luck with your uni project

Littletree:thumbup:

This news might help

£20 MILLION FOR FARMING AND FORESTRY BUSINESSES

A new £20 million fund to help rural businesses increase profits and reduce their impact on the environment has been launched today by Agriculture Minister Jim Paice.

Farmers, foresters and horticulturalists can apply for grants of up to £25,000 to invest in green projects and new machinery so their businesses can grow in an environmentally friendly way.

The Farming and Forestry Improvement Scheme will fund new profit-boosting green schemes that:

* save energy and reduce carbon emissions;

* reduce dependence on artificial fertilizers through better use of manures;

* improve soil quality;

* improve animal health and welfare;

* save and recycle water; and

* promote woodland management by processing timber more efficiently.

Agriculture Minister Jim Paice said:

“Growing our economy goes hand-in-hand with protecting and improving our environment. We want rural businesses to thrive and this new fund will help farmers, foresters and horticulturists to boost their profits and use greener and more efficient ways of working.”

The Farming and Forestry Improvement Scheme is part of Defra’s Rural Development Programme for England (RDPE).

Funds will be allocated between now and December 2013. Grants will cover a maximum of half of the total cost of projects in uplands areas and at most 40% of the total cost of projects in non uplands areas.

The Rural Development Programme for England (RDPE) aims to improve competitiveness in the agriculture and forestry sectors, safeguard and enhance the rural environment, foster competitive and sustainable rural businesses and thriving rural communities.

Under the Farming and Forestry Improvement Scheme, all farmers, foresters, contractors and horticulturalists in England are invited to apply for grants of between £2,500 and £25,000. Applicants will be assessed on their ability to meet one or more of six objectives.

Some grants are available to enable farmers to improve soil quality and reduce their use of artificial fertilisers through better use of farm slurries and manures. Others will help businesses to reduce or recover energy, saving money and reducing carbon dioxide emissions. Farmers, foresters and horticulturalists can apply for funding that will help them to save, recycle and reuse rainwater, or to improve the health and welfare of farm animals. Money will also be invested in new mechanical equipment to process timber more efficiently, giving land owners a financial incentive to manage woodland and improve biodiversity.

Abbie, I agree with all of the above and if your going to the bank for a Small business loan or even grant $$ from who ever first impressions really count. Have a business plan at hand and dress the part when ever attempting to secure the funding needed. I really can not stress this enough. Saving and building slowly on your own is also very good and should be part of your daily business financing. The Bank or Grant folks like to know your in it to win!. Let the membership know how you made out.

easy-lift guy

Funding can be very difficult if not impossible to get. Bank loans are pretty much the only way and even then are not so easy to get. I prefer to build up slowly and buy equipment as and when i have saved enough money to do so. Paying back loans can be crippling and not worth it imo unless you have a huge contract with guaranteed cash flow.

Odd question. Why specifically an arb based business? Funding streams are broadly similar to any other business.

Much of the answer will come from knowing exactly what you're aiming for.

An arb business might be a self-employed climber with a small amount of kit right through to a regional or national company.

Who is starting it? Is it an addition to an existing business? Is it being started as a result of a contract? How much funding is required and for how long?

I would imagine that most of the guys and girls on here have cobbled together what they could to get a start and then used whatever system of funding that works for them going forward.

Overdrafts are virtually a thing of the past. (They are too expensive for the banks when you don't use them as they still have to hold capital to cover the value of the overdraft.)

Bank loans can be very expensive for a start up, if indeed you do actually manage to convince the leaches to give you one. (Do I sound bitter.)