What's new? Everything, it seems to me!

Grandad

Good pic mate . What saw you use to ring that bad boy up?

What year was that ?

It was about 18/19 years ago. Saw was an 084 with 36" bar, not quite long enough to drop the tree with one blow. I reduced the width with the wedges at the sides as seen in the first pic. It took us a couple of days to ring it up. There was one of those big Hitachi excavators on site and it couldn't budge it at first. That's what the chain was on it for... It was felled over a brook too, it was growing on the bank. I had to cut the mouth while hanging from climbing rope. We pulled it down with a Tirfor. Tree was about 208 years old, damn shame but it was over mature and had dropped a few branches. Had to go to make way for a housing estate.

Edit: Not a chain, a cable I should say.

Edited by Grandad

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grandad, can I ask whereabouts in NE Leicestershire you are? Sounds like not too far from my old stomping ground.

You're an ex-pat then? You look very comfortable in your new situation. :thumbup:

I live about ten miles from Melton Mowbray, but I worked in the Market Harborough area, had to commute about thirty miles each way. It was the drive that was the worst thing about it, added two hours to each day.

Where were you?

John.

Work as team with climber who is 52, and still one of the best! got my cs38 in my 40's and felt really ancient compared to everyone else, although I was much braver than some of the very young lads who couldnt get up the trees for fear of heights, or climbed down when it got windy! We love this work and will climb as long as we want to, If you are fit your body keeps going as long as you work. An older climber may may not be so agile, but they get the job done safer and often quicker, instinctively knowing from years of experience exactly where to move, what to cut etc. Love to use any new stuff that makes life easier!

Work as team with climber who is 52, and still one of the best! got my cs38 in my 40's and felt really ancient compared to everyone else, although I was much braver than some of the very young lads who couldnt get up the trees for fear of heights, or climbed down when it got windy! We love this work and will climb as long as we want to, If you are fit your body keeps going as long as you work. An older climber may may not be so agile, but they get the job done safer and often quicker, instinctively knowing from years of experience exactly where to move, what to cut etc. Love to use any new stuff that makes life easier!

Couldn't agree more. I could go back to it if I wanted to but I wouldn't want to work every day as I did back then, an odd day now and then might suit me better, I do miss it so... Problem is, I have been overtaken by the chainsaw qualifications that are now needed; cs38? Is that the one for climbing with a saw? I don't have that.

Couldn't agree more. I could go back to it if I wanted to but I wouldn't want to work every day as I did back then, an odd day now and then might suit me better, I do miss it so... Problem is, I have been overtaken by the chainsaw qualifications that are now needed; cs38? Is that the one for climbing with a saw? I don't have that.

CS 38 is Climbing and arial rescue, neccessary qualification for groundsperson (me) when you work for organisations such as FC, We dont climb every day, that would be tough! lots of other interesting stuff nowadays, from Spraying forest transplants to regeneration removal, firewood processing and delivery, thinning and felling. Some weeks we get to climb every day, but often just 2-3 days.

You're an ex-pat then? You look very comfortable in your new situation. :thumbup:

I live about ten miles from Melton Mowbray, but I worked in the Market Harborough area, had to commute about thirty miles each way. It was the drive that was the worst thing about it, added two hours to each day.

Where were you?

John.

I was in Loughborough. I used to do a little bit of work with a guy called Keith Wadkin who did a little bit of work around your area. Not sure if you know of him?

I was in Loughborough. I used to do a little bit of work with a guy called Keith Wadkin who did a little bit of work around your area. Not sure if you know of him?

No, sorry mate, I don't recall ever meeting him. I did do a days work with a fella from the Loughborough area once but I can't remember his name. Real nice bloke, had a spot of bother in years before and spent some time as a guest of her majesty, I didn't hold it against him, as I said he was nice to me and not a thief or anything nasty and kept me entertained with stories of the characters he met inside.