Quercus & Grifola frondosa thread

Fungus

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am searching for a picture to try to show you Gerrit but basically it would be a suitably strong and robust structure, much like a walking stick with a thumb rest (a 'V' on top of a pole) that would retain the tree in place by lodging it under limb union or similar to hold the tree upright. I am unsure if I have explained that very well? :blushing:

I am going to post a photo of a tree with a 'prop' soon! :thumbup:

Something along these lines perchance Marco ?

DSC02155.JPG.caadcbfb356bf2b2832afc14fd4bd108.JPG

Something along these lines perchance ?

David,

That looks more like what I imagined, but to tell you the truth, I think this looks like s..t doing this to a historic tree standing at the corner of two old roads. Why not retrench and reduce the crown in two phases, so the oak can stand and keep upright on its own without being a risk to the public and our holy vehicles called cars :001_rolleyes: ?

Absolutely guys. Here is one David may recognise from the ATF. This is my favourite tree of all time. It sits outside the Old Oak pub in Meavy, Devon. Close to where I was brought up I originally was able to clamber around in the crown of this tree on hot summer days whilst everyone was on the green sipping ale. Now it is fenced off and has a few limbs propped up to reduce risk. It is well recorded in history and it is suggested to be over 1000 years old. A tree legend! :thumbup:

59765ece85e57_OldOakatMeavy.jpg.9843e7b5c45ee86273f6f277f2eafe79.jpg

Absolutely guys. Here is one David may recognise from the ATF. This is my favourite tree of all time. It sits outside the Old Oak pub in Meavy, Devon. Close to where I was brought up I originally was able to clamber around in the crown of this tree on hot summer days whilst everyone was on the green sipping ale. Now it is fenced off and has a few limbs propped up to reduce risk. It is well recorded in history and it is suggested to be over 1000 years old. A tree legend! :thumbup:

Know of it Marco, but have never visited. Looks a fine tree :thumbup1:

David,

That looks more like what I imagined, but to tell you the truth, I think this looks like s..t doing this to a historic tree standing at the corner of two old roads. Why not retrench and reduce the crown in two phases, so the oak can stand and keep upright on its own without being a risk to the public and our holy vehicles called cars :001_rolleyes: ?

Agreed Gerrit.

The above is the Major Oak in Sherwood Forest.

Thought to be in excess of 1000 years old.

Exceptional Tree worthy of exceptional protection.

David,

I have seen similar 'props' but made of wood sympathetically carved to make them look aesthetically pleasing. :thumbup1: Maybe not something you should dismiss on 'looks' if the tree is very important like those David and I have posted for you to consider? :confused1:

Okay, support by (wooden) props is to be considered.

But my question still remains : why not retrench and reduce the crown in two phases, so the oak can stand and keep upright on its own, as some of the other 250-300 years old oaks in an old close by "church" lane have already started entering the second phase of their life cycles in reducing their crowns by dropping heavy limbs with a weight overload in a natural way ?

Agreed Tom.

Gerrit, does the tree already show any hint of a natural ongoing retrenchment of it's own doing ?

Often this can be of great help in determining where to aim the reduction to in terms of overall canopy reduction on a first phase. Obviously with a mind to not overdoing it & aiming to retain as much photosynthetic material as possible.