AA Guide to the Use of MEWPs in Arboriculture

Amelanchier

I was told on my 38 course that we have to justify not using one these days, and justify it properly. thanks to work at height covering so many different industries we have to go through...

1. can it be done from the ground?

2. from fixed raised platform (scaffolding)?

3. MEWP?

4. rope and harness last resort

thankfully ladders dont come into it.

as for justification, aparently cost and lack of trained operators are not sufficient. access, terrain, and actual job (having to gain access to inner crown) are good enough reasons not to use one.

fairly barking

That all sucks:thumbdown:

I'd really feel a lot safer on scaffolding than working from a rope and harness :mad1:

Cost should have a lot to do with it, my day rate would have to at least double possibly more.

If cost is irrelevant when it comes to safety then we should be using a 50 tonne crane with a basket where possible. :001_smile:

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That all sucks:thumbdown:

I'd really feel a lot safer on scaffolding than working from a rope and harness :mad1:

Cost should have a lot to do with it, my day rate would have to at least double possibly more.

If cost is irrelevant when it comes to safety then we should be using a 50 tonne crane with a basket where possible. :001_smile:

from what I understand, we can pretty much ignore scaffolding since trees are dynamic and as such we would never use scaffolding, and then the added point that scaffolding would add other hazards.

to a point, the first part is common sense, can it be done from the ground... in our case that is can the tree be straight felled? or in cases such as a crown lift on a small-medium specimen, can a pole saw, powered or otherwise, be used from the ground.

this all in my opinion is one problem with one big set of rules having to cater for multiple unrelated industries. what remains, is that no matter how many 'tree companies' seem to be sprouting up, we are still a minority industry. In my opinion we have a few dedicated individuals to thank for the few pieces of specific legislation that we have. perhaps the rest will come in time :confused1:

I wouldn't us one out of choice, but if I had to I would take my rope with me just in case!

Exactly what I do all the time, take a rope with you and self rescue. It takes two people to get you down, one to pump the hydraulic hand pump the other to operate the levers, 20 minutes later your down versus, throw rope out of basket and descend in 5 seconds flat

from what I understand, we can pretty much ignore scaffolding since trees are dynamic and as such we would never use scaffolding, and then the added point that scaffolding would add other hazards.

You might consider scaffolding (or your original phrase - "fixed raised platform") for hedges...

Exactly what I do all the time, take a rope with you and self rescue. It takes two people to get you down, one to pump the hydraulic hand pump the other to operate the levers, 20 minutes later your down versus, throw rope out of basket and descend in 5 seconds flat

You need to be careful what you tie into though. Those alu cages won't take much of a force in certain places/angles.

Also when bailing out of a platform, take extra special care of sharp edges on the basket.

Oh and boom grease is a sod to get out of your rope! :blushing:

THANK!! THANK!!

I don't thank them for trying to tell ME how to do MY work!!:thumbdown:

They tell you how to do it because our taxes pay for the NHS costs and disabilty benefits you might need if you do it wrong. :D

Its a inevitable outcome of the welfare state. It's not personal, its economics!:001_tongue:

I've always considered the extra weight of a climbing rig for self rescue to be a hindrance on the SWL,

not to mention the space.

There are safety ropes (lightweight & micro diameter) specifically designed for this, that MEWP operators have had access to for years.

Will go through my info and try to post something on distributers on the morrow.

Btw, ordered two of the guides this morning, no discount - tight so and so's. Tenner each !

Will review and post thoughts in a couple of days.

They tell you how to do it because our taxes pay for the NHS costs and disabilty benefits you might need if you do it wrong. :D

Its a inevitable outcome of the welfare state. It's not personal, its economics!:001_tongue:

So why is smoking legal???????????

And why do Reg's only apply to business????????

You need to be careful what you tie into though. Those alu cages won't take much of a force in certain places/angles.

Also when bailing out of a platform, take extra special care of sharp edges on the basket.

Oh and boom grease is a sod to get out of your rope! :blushing:

My basket has four points, I anchor in and route the rope so it has part of the basket tube in the loop, so if the anchor point fails, it's still round the cage.

Should be using specail dry lubricant for the boom, not grease, it holds grit and wears the boom shims :001_tongue: