fungi id needed

testcricket01

been to look at this big poplar today, lots of this fungi all round the base, my guess is Perenniporia fraxinea but im useless at fungi ids. she wants to no what the fungi is and then recomendations, so i have said i think its Perenniporia fraxinea in which case its a white rotter and heavy reduction to the tree. i told her i was rubbish at fungi id and said ill confirm it with some people who no what there talking about.

im interested to no what it is and what effects it has to the structure etc as if i get the job it will all have to be climbed and rigged down.

thanks in advance :001_smile:

Photo0514.jpg.078134a5b144404c9dcdcf78050efc54.jpg

I would say that you have yourself a good guess.

Looks to be Perenniporia to me, but it is possible that Rigidoporus could be correct also.

Always (if you can) worth while getting a slice to see the flesh & the tube layer. this will help with identification.

Intense white rot. But further internal detection would be required to determine the whole story & the extent of decay.

Do you carry a nylon hammer on board ?

always a good fairly reliable tool for detecting dysfunction/cavities etc........

Looks to be Perenniporia to me. Always (if you can) worth while getting a slice to see the flesh & the tube layer.

On the continent, I would identify this as Oxyporus populinus, so to be 100 % sure, you'll need more than a slice of the flesh and tube layer, i.e. you need a microscope.

I would say that you have yourself a good guess.

Looks to be Perenniporia to me, but it is possible that Rigidoporus could be correct also.

Always (if you can) worth while getting a slice to see the flesh & the tube layer. this will help with identification.

Intense white rot. But further internal detection would be required to determine the whole story & the extent of decay.

Do you carry a nylon hammer on board ?

always a good fairly reliable tool for detecting dysfunction/cavities etc........

thanks for help guys :thumbup1:

i shall remember next time, i almost took a whole 1 back with me to get any more pics people would need for the id, i take it the easy way is to just tap it with a hammer and if it sounds hollow chances are its been decaying quite a while?

thanks for help guys :thumbup1:

i take it the easy way is to just tap it with a hammer and if it sounds hollow chances are its been decaying quite a while?

That's about the gist of it, but tbh time spent playing 'moby dick' on a whole heap of sound & hollow trees will get your ear in

Worth spending time in the woods with a hammer to develop a keen ear

David, just adding to that very good suggestion, possibly taking a small probe just to confirm cavity depth is always good in my books. I have a probe in sections that I can build so maybe not an easy thing to cart around for others if it is long. :thumbup1: I understand one step at a time - it's a learning thing!

On the continent, I would identify this as Oxyporus populinus, so to be 100 % sure, you'll need more than a slice of the flesh and tube layer, i.e. you need a microscope.

Thats interesting because all the oxyporus shots ive ever seen i feel i would recognise macro style, but you saying this makes me now wonder if any perenniporias ive seen where in fact oxyporus:001_huh: