Autumnwatch now

RobArb

yep, did you see how soft the wood was inside? (even though it did have a nice ring of healthy growth around the outside)

Like soup! I did some work at Westonbirt in my youth and am still in contact with a number of guys up there so on Monday I am going to ask what the extent of the damage was, how many PICUS readings they took before they were certain that they would not make an ar** of themselves on national TV. I am also going to ask how far up the stem it went too. Got any nagging thoughts trooper and I will ask away on your behalf. :001_smile:

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not had much dealings with picus (or other technical stuff) as yet, that will be in a uni module in the not too distant future:thumbup:

but...

From looking at that tree (i only caught the felling) and their reasons for felling, i'm interested to know if there are any decayed trees that are "managed" in arboretums, especially westonbirt, or if its a case of fell if even slighty rotten.

I don't profess to knowing the in's and out's of peoples thoughts on the matter and the accuracy of the PICUS but it always seems to come across different on TV due to non-professionals editing footage to make better TV:001_smile:

When I worked there the policy was to save what you could until it became too 'high' risk to the public. The inspections were rigorous as you can imagine at out national arboretum but I remember shadowing a good friend and he showed me plenty of trees affected by fungi that were managed sympathetically until the 'rot' became too much of a risk. Monoliths are ever present and fencing off of veterans is common practice to retain the tree but keep the public out. If you have not been Rob you should make it a pilgrimage one day!

I'm going next year when the leaves are back out, i'm too busy with assignments to make it down for the autumn colour and i've got a few arboretums oop ere first to visit

I want to work in an arboretum or herbarium but jobs are few and far between, so visiting is the next best thing, plust it helps get my database finished visiting all those lovely specimens:thumbup:

I'm going next year when the leaves are back out, i'm too busy with assignments to make it down for the autumn colour and i've got a few arboretums oop ere first to visit

I want to work in an arboretum or herbarium but jobs are few and far between, so visiting is the next best thing, plust it helps get my database finished visiting all those lovely specimens:thumbup:

Mate do you know or have you heard of Quinta Arboretum? I think it may be close to you - sort of Arley Arboretum area-ish. I know the curator and was helped out when I needed some experience. Google it. If you need help PM me Rob :thumbup:

Doubt if I would ever me on Autumnwatch as I shoot squirrels by the hundred to increase wild song birds and use my well trained 2 working cockers on a large shoot, the number of small birds coming out of cover crops must be seen. I feel the prog has become an urban image of nature but biased views by Packman as the expert on strippy charlies.

Doubt if I would ever me on Autumnwatch as I shoot squirrels by the hundred to increase wild song birds and use my well trained 2 working cockers on a large shoot, the number of small birds coming out of cover crops must be seen. I feel the prog has become an urban image of nature but biased views by Packman as the expert on strippy charlies.

He's not got a very holistic view I have to agree but he's making people 'aware' so that is not a bad thing.

He's not got a very holistic view I have to agree but he's making people 'aware' so that is not a bad thing.

I just wish 'TV nature' would show the whole picture including woodland & the work of say the game conservation, and the other side of gamekeeper work eg, keepers feeding Barn owls to save them in the snow at their own cost. Plus the way woods have been 'work places' and still good for nature for hundreds of years.

I remember the mouthfuls of abuse from 'nice little old ladies' who see us as the 'anti-christ of nature, when a saw starts up - come back next spring and see the wild flowers, doesn't cut it with them.