Yew health care question

Mr. Bish

Yew trees are basically fungi resistant but the creosoted sleepers sound like they would do no good at all as said they must have dug footings and damaged roots. I had to cut down two yews in a long row beside the church so they could take a picture of the tower for a grant and wow how they grow back:001_smile:

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think I will remove the sleepers, make sure the drainage is good, then wait for a few years to see how it progresses. Unless anyone else can come up with something more.

To answer one of the questions. The sleepers were installed about 2 years prior to tree health declineing.

I know nothing of what toxins the sleepers may contain or if there are any soil additions I could introduce to help counteract any soil inbalance.

There is nothing you could add that would counteract the sort of crap that is in a sleeper x however many are there.

This sort of situation really annoys me because the so called proffesional who specced this work and carried it out has no idea about the basics of there work :mad1: ...... Any body who works with or around a living thing should know about that object wheter it is a tree, shrub or plant.. In my opinion there are way more cowboys in landscaping than in tree work and this yew tree is a prime example. Whoever did the design for this should be prosecuted along with the contractors...

I think I will remove the sleepers, make sure the drainage is good, then wait for a few years to see how it progresses. Unless anyone else can come up with something more.

To answer one of the questions. The sleepers were installed about 2 years prior to tree health declineing.

I know nothing of what toxins the sleepers may contain or if there are any soil additions I could introduce to help counteract any soil inbalance.

As i have said i wouldnt waste any further money on the tree, but do take the sleepers away, it may help to prolong tree life a little further

New to forum. First response, so here goes...

Sleepers shouldn't have poisoned the soil, as we used to use them for rootzone protection on construction sites. Tree possibly could be suffering from phytophthora - yews are susceptible. The tree might recover over winter and then become stressed again over summer. Try sending a sample of tissue away for analysis. Feeding and decompaction is always a good idea. There is a chemical control for phytophthora in nursery stock - don't know how well it would work on a mature tree.

Yes to your wallet at about £ 600 - £1000

What is the point when the toxins are in the ground and most likely already done most of the damage...

wouldnt nutrients to the soil start reversing the effects of any toxins? tree doesnt look like its on its last legs so anything that we can offer the yew to help it on its way to recovery has to be worth a shot???

sorry for daft assumptions, but havnt any real knowledge it this area:sad:

Hey Mr Bish,

I have seen Yews doin' this around and abouts this year....certainly wouldnt want to see you make any hasty decisions! Mature Yews, even adjacent to one another...1 affected, the other apparently fine and dandy....Not certain if this is the same thing as the one you are looking at?

I would recommend removing the sleepers perhaps . If your client is loaded, sell them the the decompact et al...but I think it may well recover with little or no intervention frankly. ( famous last words!! )

This comment assumes the root zone has not been trenched and the soil root environment trounced by " developers ":closedeyes: