Tree ID practice

RobArb

Ok my guesses are:

Oak 1 - Quercus macrolepis

Oak 2 - Quercus cerris

Oak 3 - Quercus robur (or at least a hybrid between Q. robur and Q. petraea)

Oak 4 - Quercus palustris (or possibly Q. ellipsodalis)

Scott i'll have a look at yours now:biggrin:

Oak 1 to be honest I am not sure

Oak 2 definitely Cerris

Oak 3 it is a hybrid

Oak 4 coccinea splendens

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here you go. This was taken in the Treborth Botanical Garden in Bangor. About this time of year a couple of years ago.

That particular species is Sorbus megalocarpa. One of those nice whole leaved asiatic species that has fruits that look like partridge eggs. Theres a nice one at Spetchley and a group planting at Hergest croft.

I'm guessing Robarb has got the ID knack when it comes to trees... If people are into interesting and unusual trees then hergest croft is one place to visit. Also New Trees by john grimshaw is a valuable reference text for the unusual sp. quite costly though.

Happy ID'ing.

Maybe i'll chime in with some unusuals at some stage...

Edited by jwade

Hello jwade, welcome to arbtalk:thumbup:

Thanks for the vote of confidence and the tip on where to go for interesting species.

You clearly know your stuff getting Scotts Sorbus sp., what's your background?

Sent from Rob's GalaxySII

Cheers for the welcome, have been a longtime lurker, first time poster..What am I letting myself in for!?

My background is general plant and tree nut -emphasis on trees of temperate climates, have a particular interest in asiatic species and love the more unusual species capable of growing in these isles.. However I love geeking out about trees and tend to go around looking for large/ancient trees for fun.

In the past more into grounds maintenance and gardening but with more of an affinity for trees, hence interest in arboriculture.

Studying arboriculture at Pershore (fdsc) currently.

Edited by jwade
incomplete

Just ordered that book as an early xmas present for myself:thumbup:

manage to find it for under 80 quid at all? It has some interesting reference in there.. it describes many new species to cultivation, although it tends to focus on areas in the US (climate wise). It also a good reference for arboreta to visit, and the importance of wild collections/conservation etc.

manage to find it for under 80 quid at all? It has some interesting reference in there.. it describes many new species to cultivation, although it tends to focus on areas in the US (climate wise). It also a good reference for arboreta to visit, and the importance of wild collections/conservation etc.

No I've ordered it for 99, might have a harder search now you've said that:biggrin:

I'm doing the fdsc too, at myerscough (online) and would ultimately love to work in an arboretum or the like:thumbup:

How far you into the course?

Cheers for the welcome, have been a longtime lurker, first time poster..What am I letting myself in for!?

My background is general plant and tree nut -emphasis on trees of temperate climates, have a particular interest in asiatic species and love the more unusual species capable of growing in these isles.. However I love geeking out about trees and tend to go around looking for large/ancient trees for fun.

In the past more into grounds maintenance and gardening but with more of an affinity for trees, hence interest in arboriculture.

Studying arboriculture at Pershore (fdsc) currently.

Good spot on the Sorbus.

If you like hardy odd asiatic trees, you should take a day trip down to Crug Farm gardens and nursery near Caernarfon. They travel to wet and mountainous areas of Korea, Taiwan, Japan etc (basically similar climates to North Wales) and collect lots of stuff from seed and sell on. My garden's filling up quite nicely with their stuff.

The owners, Bleddyn and Sue are super-friendly, interesting and helpful.

Good spot on the Sorbus.

If you like hardy odd asiatic trees, you should take a day trip down to Crug Farm gardens and nursery near Caernarfon. They travel to wet and mountainous areas of Korea, Taiwan, Japan etc (basically similar climates to North Wales) and collect lots of stuff from seed and sell on. My garden's filling up quite nicely with their stuff.

The owners, Bleddyn and Sue are super-friendly, interesting and helpful.

Yep I know of them, particularly through another forum I frequent related to growing hardy tropicals and 'unusuals' and have wanted to go there for a while-

I like the whole wild collected thing, however they know thier stuff is good and therefore they charge a hefty premium. Good on them I say. Just goes to show that modern day plant hunting is still valid, especially in terms of ex situ conservation

They have also championed the schefflera sp. and other nice temperate plants especially those from Ullung do and North Vietnam etc..

I personally wouldnt want to shell out lots of money for something that is most likely to peg it, especially given last winter.

I have often drooled over thier Sorbus and that Aesculus wangii at a whopping 80 pounds!

Nick Macer of Pan Global plants is also very good, nice chap and great nursery in a charming locale.

Just outta interest what have you got? The schefflera macrophylla is a beauty. thats my guess.. and probably tetrapanax?

Edited by jwade