Corsham Court and Kingston Lacy - fungi finds

armybloke

I would mind putting a substantial bet on the last two being fistulina cankers.

loving the orange cup fungi too, stunning, should have got in lower and closer cropped in, gorgeous either way though

I'll second that comment. If left this one would see veterancy! Odd to see it so big on a small stem!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would mind putting a substantial bet on the last two being fistulina cankers.

loving the orange cup fungi too, stunning, should have got in lower and closer cropped in, gorgeous either way though

Thanks for the compliments and yes maybe a little cropping would have gone down a treat - I shall tell my 6 year old twins to try harder :001_tt2::lol:

The cankers were on Castanea sp, so that could certainly be your theory put right. I never even considered that the cankers could be a reaction to infection like that - really cool body language.

Thanks for the compliments and yes maybe a little cropping would have gone down a treat - I shall tell my 6 year old twins to try harder :001_tt2::lol:

The cankers were on Castanea sp, so that could certainly be your theory put right. I never even considered that the cankers could be a reaction to infection like that - really cool body language.

These cankers/burrs and their connection to fistulina is not currently known marco, and there is much work to do to convince the community, they, are not convinced and want it scientifically proven, and rightly so.

looking into ways of doing some experiments to prove it and satisfy the non believers.

Gerrits work/description of the strategy/interaction is the closest ive come to finding anything close to what I have witnessed with regards the strange growth forms/body language associated with this fungi.

so understandable you wouldnt have considered it!:biggrin:

Although I can't see the tube layer (maze ?), because of the woodpecker's whole and the tree being Q. rubra, I think it's Daedalea quercina, a brown rotter of oaks, that is a fast and invasive decomposer of cellulose in Q. rubra.

Gerrit, I remember having a conversation with you regarding woodpeckers and brown rot fungi. You may find this a coincidence but at the time I thought of the relationship and tried to narrow it down to what fungi it could be. You see my friend your teaching is being soaked up - thank you :thumbup1:

These cankers/burrs and their connection to fistulina is not currently known marco, and there is much work to do to convince the community, they, are not convinced and want it scientifically proven, and rightly so.

looking into ways of doing some experiments to prove it and satisfy the non believers.

Gerrits work/description of the strategy/interaction is the closest ive come to finding anything close to what I have witnessed with regards the strange growth forms/body language associated with this fungi.

so understandable you wouldnt have considered it!:biggrin:

Tony I wish I had more time to do this sort of research. If I ever won the lottery or could afford not to work I would take up a little project like that :thumbup: Thanks again for your invaluable guidance in all things 'TREES'