anniebee

Question

• Answers 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

The "white" bits are lichen I think nothing to worry about !

Or Cryptococcus fagisuga, a scale insect associated with Nectria coccinea, a parasitic Coral spot fungus causing bark necrosis and canker.

Annie,

The cavities used by the squirrels could have been created by the mycelium of Pholiota aurivella (see the Beech & Pholiota aurivella thread). Did you ever see fruiting of this fungus from one or both wounds ?

THanks for the extra photos Annie,

its probably a trick of the camera, but does the base of the stem around the buttresses look swelled slightly to anyone? its tricky to tell but may not be.

the crown does look thinner than it should be

in the shot of the fungi and two holes, looking along the stem, there is an 'indent' this could indicate some decay caused by the fungi you see, and a sign of a cavity behind, however, i may be corrected by more experienced folk on that bit.

Not that we are trying to frighten you, these are all professional observations.

Or Cryptococcus fagisuga, a scale insect associated with Nectria coccinea, a parasitic Coral spot fungus causing bark necrosis and canker.

Yes- true Also not a problem for Annie I feel

Howcan wedescribe the states of Nectria here? I see it white as well as red ( more often red ) and often hirsute when white Different sexual states ?

not a problem for Annie ... How can we describe the states of Nectria here? I see it white as well as red ( more often red ) and often hirsute when white Different sexual states ?

Yes, not a problem and no, the white hirsute state is (the cover of) the scale insect and the red "corals" are the teleomorphs of Nectria coccinea.

Edited by Fungus

Thank you for your replies, have to admit some are going over my head a bit, still all very interesting however would like to point out that we did not do the fencing so not guilty! The tree is our neighbour's I just have a keen interest mainly because a large part is over my bedroom. So make it easy for me on a scale of 1-10 should I be worried about this?

It warrants a reduction, nothing more, you have time to seek a good reducer out, some will make a mess of the tree, others will leave it looking like it should, delicate and lacey.

I would expect those hollows to have joined, but the tree is healthy and vigorous so if the tree was mine I would be looking to start a program of reduction that at each reduction (say 5 years apart) the tree gets a good looking over and assesed as to how much to reduce by at each reduction

it is perfectly possible to retain trees with decay this way, over many years of gradual, sensitive reductions

Hi thanks for your reply you are probably right with the holes being bigger than what I think apparently a probe was put down the hole with the fungi on and my husband was watching and he said it went down for about four feet. Think I am going to get someone in to have a look just to be on the safe side

you are probably right with the holes being bigger than what I think apparently a probe was put down the hole with the fungi on and my husband was watching and he said it went down for about four feet. Think I am going to get someone in to have a look just to be on the safe side

Annie,

The tree being your neighbour's, shouldn't he be the one to have the tree assessed by a professional arborist ?

Yes he is but a large portion of the tree overhangs my property and garden so to put my mind at rest I think I would like to get this done.

Not directly aimed at you Annie I dont expect treeowners/homeowners to be as aware of the situation as tree professionals but I cant help thinking that the first thing to do is check to see if the tree is protected by any statutory restrictions - ie/ Are you in a conservation area or is the tree subject to a TPO ? If so- permission is likely to need be sought from your local planning dept in the event any kind of work needs carried out

There are all sorts of connotations relating to overhanging another's property and such that might allow you to effect works without permission from your neighbour or the council but check first as the aforementioned protections negate these!

My advice is try to strike up a constructive dialogue with the owner (neighbour) and suss out the situation Get his permission for further , investigative, assessments and perhaps agree a plan of action that will share costs and leave you happy that its safe and the neighbour clear they have fulfilled their "Duty of care "