Question

• Answers 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

Hi Annie,

The fungus is Polyporus squamosus - Dryads saddle - David Humphries’s Fungi Directory - Arbtalk.co.uk | Discussion Forum for Arborists

I expect the fungi squad will be along shortly to tell you all about it :)

The cavity looks like it might go quite deep. Do you have any pictures of the whole tree?

Hi Annie, where is the fungus location on the tree in the bigger picture? is it on the left hand side towards the house? From the shape of the stem around the top of the window level it looks like a branch used to be there.

P. squasmosus as pointed out, is a deadwood feeder (saprophytic), however it does cause cavities and can lead to part failure in long term.

FOr the colour of the canopy, i would suggest it looks a bit thinner than it should be, although the time of year, and the time of the photo being taken, could be the major factor in this.

Edited by RobRainford

there is a good chance there will be a cavity inside the stem which links the two holes, depending on the size of the cavity there should be some management required on this tree, although around where the fungus is emerging there is a 'donut' of growth sealing the pruning cut, the cut is obviously too large to be sealed in good time and that is how the infection has entered the tree.

Can you get some more pictures of the area around the tree? to show it in a bit more context, a picture that shows the squirrel nest would be handy too.

Where are you located?

P. squamosus as pointed out, is a deadwood feeder (saprophytic), however it does cause cavities and can lead to part failure in long term ... canapy .. looks a bit thinner ...

Annie & Rob,

Polyporus squamosus is an annual (necrotrophic) parasitic bracket fungus, that decomposes dead wood to produce fruitbodies once or twice a year and lives on as a dead wood feeder (saprotrophic) once the tree has died.

In beech, it is a slow decayer, that can create intensive white rot and cavities on the long run.

So the question to answer first is : over how long a period and how often has the mycelium been fruiting and how many years has the canapy been looking thinner ?

Not too sure if it has ever grown there before, never taken that much notice I can't remember when the photo was taken maybe a couple of months ago. This other photo (just taken) shows the fungi to the bottom left and two squirrel holes further up to the right. I really don't think they all connect together. Also could you let me know if the white bits at the bottom anything to worry about

PA232073.jpg.97996bf9e12d84d7a095079a01f2ad43.jpg

PA232070.jpg.855c7aefd9c1529c9e9382ba4a7f5d88.jpg

Edited by anniebee

The "white " bits are lichen I think nothing to worry about ! Or do you mean the fencing fitments ? That's not nice and is a potential court for fungal ingress ! ( Never like to see trees used like this but tis an arborists' lot that we see it alot ! )

Kinda fundammental to the picture that we try and build a picture of canopy loss - it indicates a level of vigor and this is significant !!

edit - see now, that view of leaf area looks healthy enough to me guys !?