birch dilema

simonm

so phone rang customer wants a multi stem sycamore dismanteling and a silver birch pruning! the birch has been "pruned" before! well basically its just been cut in half "butchered" would be a more fitting word! now my problem is 1. ive not had much to do with silver birch before 2. my understanding is that its a tree that doesnt really like to be reduced much and 3. i dont want to do what's been done before and put my name to a job that looks like a pigs ear!!

I assume it now has lots of long straight stems from previous cuts. Try and remove the larger ones leaving smaller to maintain a canopy and some shape, then prune any back anything that sticks out too far. Or you might find the client likes the butchered look and your decision is one of is the money better in my pocket or someone elses. As the damage is already done I'd say yours

Ask the customer what they want - if you dont think its the best thing for the tree then offer them advice.

they may or may not want to take it - this resolves the dilemma.

Realistically you will have two options - recut to previous points or reshape what growth is there - this may include a thinning out to reduce/shape.