Figures for number of domestic stoves installed

WFWales

Try Hetas, as they should all be registered.

Last presentation I went to at the chimney sweeps show indicated that in the previous year 140,000 stoves had been sold yet only 30,000 had been installed and signed off as being safe to use by Hetas regisitered engineers. Add another 5000 perhaps done via the building inspector leaves a lot of stoves installed by unqualified persons and not signed off. Any of these people having fires in their property risk having their insurance being invalidated and being prosecuted for breach of building regs.

A

Last presentation I went to at the chimney sweeps show indicated that in the previous year 140,000 stoves had been sold yet only 30,000 had been installed and signed off as being safe to use by Hetas regisitered engineers. Add another 5000 perhaps done via the building inspector leaves a lot of stoves installed by unqualified persons and not signed off. Any of these people having fires in their property risk having their insurance being invalidated and being prosecuted for breach of building regs.

A

Well said!

And if I said I "installed" a stove 15 years ago by sticking a length of flue pipe up the 9" flue liner and "clufing" the gap with glass wool, and that the chimney has never been cleaned in 15 years,despite being run for 6 months of the year 24/7....... and that the stove still works perfectly i.e. "it pulls like a train",

I would really need to replace the glass wool with rock wool as it kindles occasionally and falls out in a glassy lump.:blushing:

Ps

Who or what are Hetas?:001_tt2:

A

Shocking! - Thanks A

And if I said I "installed" a stove 15 years ago by sticking a length of flue pipe up the 9" flue liner and "clufing" the gap with glass wool, and that the chimney has never been cleaned in 15 years,despite being run for 6 months of the year 24/7....... and that the stove still works perfectly i.e. "it pulls like a train",

I would really need to replace the glass wool with rock wool as it kindles occasionally and falls out in a glassy lump.:blushing:

Ps

Who or what are Hetas?:001_tt2:

Hetas are the body that oversee the solid fuel industry,

HETAS : Homepage

If you or anyone else does not have a sign off cert for your stove ( and a copy is also lodged with your local building inspector) if you ever have a fire your insurers will pass your claim to a loss adjuster whose job it is to get out of paying a claim. In short no sign off usually = no insurance cover for house or contents.

Putting a pipe part way up an existing liner can ( will) lead to falling soot lodging between the 2 pipes and then possably catching fire. Dodgy.

A

A

Is it ok to have it signed off by the building inspector rather than a Hetas engineer?