Poorly Hedge

Treewarrior

You can get them back to green no bother. Just lay off the trimming for a while, give em some water and allow what's left to grow out an inch or two.

Then only trim in Spring and that way they look nice for the Summer and have some cover for the Winter reducing the chance of windburn.

I've had the same hedges on my books for years and will only do them in Spring no matter how much the customer pleads with me to do em twice a year.

I'd say they need water and less trimming.

They seem to recover

Perhaps they develop resistance in time but they do grow out of it

That's interesting as I have not seen this with Aphid damage. I have seen about 6 hedges that are completely dead recently so this surprises me. Also, when you get dead areas, or cut into the wood of these hedges they do not grow back.

Have you seen this yourself?

There are increasing numbers of hedges, that we have cut for years which are showing this type of damage. One year its immaculate, the next year some yellowing of the foliage and much less vigourous growth, the next year brown patches where the yellow was and the chlorosis spreading further along the hedge. A lot of them aren't recovering either.

There was an article in The Garden about 18 months ago, saying that they were didn't know what was causing it -but that it wasn't aphids.