Ariel rescue advice.

cerneARB

I did my 38 earlier this year and you only have to do 2 different rescues, 1 being using both lines the other being the assessors choice. I did a full-time city and guilds level 2 and they only taught us 2 rescues: 2 lines or 1, hence that what I did. Having said that, the assessor was a bit concerned we hadn't been shown other types of rescue, that's Cannington College for you!

Do the NPTC's. Any cowboy can climb trees and cut stuff. Surely it's better to be able to prove you're not a cowboy.

Good luck!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

cerne, if its purely the cost thats an issue, why not constact 'train to gain' and have them pay half? I did

Jim could you tell us more about this? I've heard of train to gain but I thought it was only available for a limited number of courses. It would be a real initiative for my employer to put me through the courses I need if I could do it through train to gain.

cerne, if its purely the cost thats an issue, why not constact 'train to gain' and have them pay half? I did

looked at their website Jim..intresting..might give them a ring and see what they say.....

Humble pie tastes of porridge with salt..yuck.:001_smile:( just been reading the energy post).

no what your saying Andy, have taken it on board and your right..cheers mate.

• 2 weeks later...
so you dont have your cs38, you therefore dont have your cs39, but youve been doing climbing jobs and you're insured? does that not hurt the wallet more than the price of a course or two?

Im not having a dig, I just thought nigh on all of the ins companies required at least 38 and 39 before they would insure you?

In a nutshell the techniques were:

recovering using 2 ropes: connect casualty's central D to yours with a biner or quickdraw, put positioning lanyard over their shoulder and behind them under their other arm to stop them falling backwards, and operate both friction hitches to bring both of you down to the ground. keeping your legs one above and one below theirs aids in control

on your rope only: as above but once they are secured to you, attach them via another biner and a prussik to the working end of your line (not the end with the friction cord on), disconnect them and lower both of you on just your system (your friction hitch takes the weight of both of you and can bind up hard or go very quick depending)

3 man recovery: one chap enters tree and reaches casualty, other sets a belay anchored to the bottom of the tree with timber hitch, alpine butterfly and prussik loop. man in the tree passes end of rescue rope over a strong anchor and attaches it to casualty and releases them from their system. man on ground lowers casualty, man in tree lowers himself and concentrates on supporting casualty.

pole rescue: essentially like the one rope rescue but you have to install a false anchor point first (I didnt do this on my assessment or course, no suitable trees)

remember, keep talking to the casualty all the time, and assessor dependant, if he has been suspended longer than 7 minutes, dont let their weight out of the harness until you've explained why.

I to covered these when doing the arial rescue training.

But im suprised that we do not get taught an arial rescue with a statict access line. These days we always have a static access line installed for a rapid arial rescue response.Simple line over a strong union with an alpine butterfly tied in to stop it slipping. A clemhiest prussik hitch pre tied waiting to be used if needed. :001_cool:

we had one demonstrated but we didnt have sufficient time to try it ourselves. theres a lot to take in over the four days as it is. we all know that the practicing and honing of our techniques takes place after the course!

Jim called it a crash rescue. he put up an access line, footlocked up it doubled with a klemheist sling. installed a false anchor point on the doubled line, clipped himself to the casualty, and dropped them both straight to the ground stopping just above it. the whole thing was over in seconds. THAT's the kinda guy you want on your team if the proverbial hit the fan!

ah right, sorry Lee Ive certainly not seen you write that before. Seems to be total madness to me. Whether or not you can do the job well, A level playing field of qualifications is surely the best thing all round when we all rely on each other for the state of our premiums.

I,ve worked with blokes with quals as long as their arms, and I would,nt give em tuppence.