chainsaw advice

veg power

Hi guys

iam wanting to buy a decent saw either

stihl Or husky

from what ive read it is personal to each but there is a big difference in price from whats called hobby

mid range

to pro

i do try to buy the more heavy duty tool for the job what ever that maybe just for peice of mind that it will cope know probs

i can fell 20" dia trees to trees that have fallen on farm land & just want a saw that will cope

bar length,CC

any help advice will be gratefully taken

Thanks Rick :thumbup:

Hi guys

iam wanting to buy a decent saw either

stihl Or husky

from what ive read it is personal to each but there is a big difference in price from whats called hobby

mid range

to pro

i do try to buy the more heavy duty tool for the job what ever that maybe just for peice of mind that it will cope know probs

i can fell 20" dia trees to trees that have fallen on farm land & just want a saw that will cope

bar length,CC

any help advice will be gratefully taken

Thanks Rick :thumbup:

i would highly recomend a new husqvarna 346xp with a 15" bar. or a 357 with a 15"bar or an 18". alot of people on here would say the same.. it is buy far the best small saw going

Thanks guys for your help so quickly me been a new guy on here much appreciated :thumbup:

yeah its not summat i use day in day out for my work as i do bespoke making of wood steel almost anything but ive got a friend & her dad the farm owner as giving me free run to take fallen trees "Ash" for my wood burning stove & to fell those not wanted plus iam wanting to add strings to my bow & do a coarse but not just a coarse on maintainence as thats pretty self worked out but when i do use mine saw it gets some stick to say the least so iam wanting one that will with sound some hassle although the pro saws are abit out of my reach cash wise,all things wood & wood land is a very big interest of mine with out sounding like a tree hugger lol,,the saws mentioned can they have a more aggressive chain fitted ??

anyway guys thanks for your help i will check them out

PS can you recommend a retailer that "Fingers crossed" can do me a decent deal :thumbup:

As above really- the 346xp husqvarna is a superb mid range saw for good money. It is fast cutting, light to pick up and very powerful. If you want soemthing a bit bigger there are good offerings from both manufacturers here too- the MS362 stihl or the 357 husqvarna are similarly sized. IMO the ms391 or 291 are not preferred options as they are pretty agricultural in comparison to the pro saws, albeit the price reflects this. There are various suppliers on the right hande side of the screen here. You will have to make your first stihl or husqvarna purchase face to face due to both those companies' distance selling regulations, so you may want to find the closest supplier to you for that reason.

I echo tommer9 on the 346 husky.

Having started this year with the Stihl 290, I found it heavy, not too aggressive and a steady cutter, fine for a bit of cross-cutting. A lot of the views on here recommended the 346XP, so I gave that a go.

The difference is remarkable, the 346XP being slightly lighter , better balanced and much more comfortable to use through the day. Much nicer for snedding. First saw I pick up. I kept the 290 as a useful back-up saw.

Both have 15" Bars on them.