Resin for filling holes?

Guest Infinitree

Guest Infinitree

Hi chaps,

Making a mantle out of Oak but when I got it planed down I found it's full of wood worm in the center.Can anyone recommend a clear resin filler and where to get it from?!

Would you have it clear or mix some powder with it?I was thinking maybe black resin or brass filings?

Cheers!!

IMG_1160.jpg.926784da2a3fda209cbadca04c18f2e3.jpg

Infinitree - a few of us use water clear casting resin (lots of sellers on ebay)

I also use 2 part epoxy laminating resin for loading with brass powder - takes a lot of experimenting to get it 'brassy' and not army green! - east coast marine supplies for the both.

talk to slackbladder, he da man for that stuff.

Hi the water clear casting resin is good but if there is any damp in the wood itdoesn't stick in too well lokks like cracks but if you stained it with black pigment there shouldn't be a problem

Can get it off ebay i find Ariba is good ,but remember the more you mix the less hardener.If you only mix small amounts it need to be 10 percent or so large amounts 1/2 pint or more then way less ,maybe not even 1 percent it will still go off

Try putting cling film over it while it sets.it can stay sticky on the outside for days

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again

just been experimenting with the resin with a black pigment added

Works fine but you have to seal the wood( i use osmo ) otherwise the pigment leeches into the wood and stains it and its hard to remove it

he's not a messiah he's just a very naughty boy