2nd set of dog/dawg spikes for MS240

IRONJACK

i can understand the need for dogs when felling / cross cutting (I have them on both my 362's) but snedding???

do you have the double set on your 362's? also, are you pleased with the 362, that is, is it at least as good as the 361??

BTW The 84" tree in my avatar was felled with a 28" bar, so us tree surgeons do know a few tricks:001_tt2:

bet you have double set dogs on your 28"?! your avatar pic is a good'un.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ironjack, in no way was i meaning to be snide , belittling or anything else. In the grand scheme of things an 024 is a small saw. a fantastic little saw at that though. Personaly i have a husky 242xp in that size and love it to bits. However I was genuinely interested to hear your views about my question, as i find that felling dogs got in the way for me when snedding, hence my use of the 'confused' smiley. I found that a 60cc saw was the smallest saw i could be bothered with on snedding, with a 16" bar, in order to be able to sned at the speed i desired, and that the spikes were a PITA, esp when using the top side of the bar.

dogs, dawgs, spikes, whatever you call them, they are pointless on a small saw...

they are to provide a pivot point when making cuts (big cuts with a long bar) once the saw is 'dogged in' you can let go of the top handle and push/pull on the rear handle pivoting off the dogs.

'big' dogs are to provide bite in thick barked trees (think 3'dbh+ doug fir with several inches of brittle bark.)

a 40cc saw, doesnt have the torque or chain speed to be able to efficiently pivot on the dogs, nor will it be running a bar long enough to warrant pivoting with for accuracy, nor is the saw heavy enough to warrant pivoting to take the weight of the saw.

small saws dont need dogs, let alone, big or dual dogs. they are purely to look 'cool'... but thats subjective, i would look at a small saw with dual dogs and think [expletive deleted]

dogs, dawgs, spikes, whatever you call them, they are pointless on a small saw...

small saws dont need dogs, let alone, big or dual dogs. they are purely to look 'cool'... but thats subjective, i would look at a small saw with dual dogs and think [expletive deleted]

That about sums it up, but let's be fair on Logan, he may surprise us all yet, when he comes up with a clever not-thought-of-before trick that works best on a small saw with big spikes :thumbup1:

No, it's just the crank case with the 4 nylon chain guides. Is that good or bad?

Bad unfortunately. It seems to be pretty random whether anyone has the right crankcase to install the side chain tensioner or not. The MS240 and 024 parts lists aren't much help and there doesn't seem to be any tech notes from Stihl regarding this.

Some pictures. The first three show a 024 which could be turned into side adjustable. The final picture is of an MS240 crankcase where this is not possible.

DSC00460.JPG.b6141be73d6d46b79caddd7f1f400c29.JPG

DSC00459.JPG.492df689089f659dad466eebdc142950.JPG

DSC00458.JPG.d9fb6c516c2bab42d4dfaba128eefeb8.JPG

DSC00457.JPG.fbf2f0b2b9e5d1d597e10e48ba91b66e.JPG

they are to provide a pivot point when making cuts (big cuts with a long bar) once the saw is 'dogged in' you can let go of the top handle and push/pull on the rear handle pivoting off the dogs.

'big' dogs are to provide bite in thick barked trees (think 3'dbh+ doug fir with several inches of brittle bark.)

a 40cc saw, doesnt have the torque or chain speed to be able to efficiently pivot on the dogs, nor will it be running a bar long enough to warrant pivoting with for accuracy, nor is the saw heavy enough to warrant pivoting to take the weight of the saw.

well, ...

that's that then!

there must be a parallel universe where dogs (single (either inside of bar or outside) or double) work on a saw of any size, cc, thickness if bark, and all that good stuff. and i must have been living there for the last 20 years or so!

i gotta wonder that those of you that are so strongly against these things must have well developed gut muscles from daily dragging the saw in a parallel way through all those trees.

i mean, i even use the dawgs on the topping saw! how lazy is that?! :001_huh:

I will Be totally honest - if the likes of Stihl or Husky spend millions on testing and product improvements and so far i dont recall either of them producing a small saw with a big Bog or even two . could this be because they feel that there is no need to have such a thing on a small saw ?

I will Be totally honest - if the likes of Stihl or Husky spend millions on testing and product improvements and so far i dont recall either of them producing a small saw with a big Bog or even two . could this be because they feel that there is no need to have such a thing on a small saw ?

at the end of the day a saw is a tool. there's nothing wrong with modifying a tool to do the job better. so if you're using a small saw to knock the twigs off a bunch of pines, then take off the dog if you get along better without. if you're trudging around a rainy overstood coppice plot trimming the stumps off 800 ugly little so and so's, then maybe you'd want all the leverage you can get. most of stihl's pro saws have double doggies on the parts list to suit each saw. you just have to ask for them!

sometimes i've put the side cover off the 660 onto the 260, that must be really offensive!!:001_cool: but it was lightweight, saved fuel, and cut some quite buttressed small silver birch and hazel stumps down nicely. but to be fair, next time i just lumped the 660 all over the show. 18" bar!! :thumbup: