2nd set of dog/dawg spikes for MS240

IRONJACK

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO if you need more felling dogs on a tiny saw like a 240 when snedding your saw must be blunt.:confused1: I think they would slow you down if anything.:001_smile:

Tommer tommer tommer...

My saw is neither blunt nor tiny.

I know you're only a tree surgeon, and clearly know very little about forestry, but FYI the size of a saw is only relative to the size of the trees you are felling.

A 240 pulls a chain around a 15" bar adequately, so using technical felling cuts that aren't commonly used in tree surgery, (this is where you would probably reach for the 660/880 etc) I can fell anything up to 32". Sure, a larger saw would knock it over a little faster, but when you're spending a lot more time snedding than felling, you soon start to appreciate a lighter saw with a shorter bar.

Tommer tommer tommer...

My saw is neither blunt nor tiny.

I know you're only a tree surgeon, and clearly know very little about forestry, but FYI the size of a saw is only relative to the size of the trees you are felling.

A 240 pulls a chain around a 15" bar adequately, so using technical felling cuts that aren't commonly used in tree surgery, (this is where you would probably reach for the 660/880 etc) I can fell anything up to 32". Sure, a larger saw would knock it over a little faster, but when you're spending a lot more time snedding than felling, you soon start to appreciate a lighter saw with a shorter bar.

Be careful, you really don't know who your talking too.

Tom is a pretty experienced Forestry faller and can fell, sned and stack a staggering amount of timber in a day.

People are only pulling your leg and mean no harm :001_smile:

I've know a fair few production fallers over the years and don't know any who had double dogs on a small saw.

Be careful, you really don't know who your talking too.

Tom is a pretty experienced Forestry faller and can fell, sned and stack a staggering amount of timber in a day.

People are only pulling your leg and mean no harm :001_smile:

I've know a fair few production fallers over the years and don't know any who had double dogs on a small saw.

Perhaps I'm doing a little leg pulling of my own?

Not saying I'm going to revolutionise forestry, just want to try something for myself and wanted to know how to acquire a part, I didn't ask for feedback on my choice of saw. But hey ho, some people can't help themselves...

Perhaps I'm doing a little leg pulling of my own?

Not saying I'm going to revolutionise forestry, just want to try something for myself and wanted to know how to acquire a part, I didn't ask for feedback on my choice of saw. But hey ho, some people can't help themselves...

Its just a bit of banter mate :001_smile:

Just laugh along and have some fun, then do your own thing :thumbup:

That's cool, can I make the 240 side adjustable?

It depends. I believe the crankcase may have been changed at some point to allow the accomodation of the side chain tensioner whilst still having the front chain tensioner installed at the factory. Does your saw have the stainless steel inner guide plate, like the MS440 etc? (what the bar gets clamped against)

ironjack, i rate having the double set of spikes. when cutting ugly hardwood stumps low the single set has a habit of grabbing thin air. with a dog on the side cover you improve your chances of getting a bite and reduce your chances of getting strained! the only limitation i've noticed (re. tommer9 "might slow you down?") is that if you're snedding off small branches or slashing the brash, a small branch can rattle around violently between the bottom tooth set and the chain. this was when i tried a MS660's standard dogs on a MS260. also, the inner and outer dog didn't line up well when put on the 260.

megatron's part no. for the kit to suit the ms361 looks like it will grab sufficiently without being a pain in small branches. whether it lines up well on a ms240...? i've seen them on a 361 and they look like a good size set of knashers for a 50-60cc saw.

let us know if they fit your 240, i'll try a set on the 260! all the best.