Beach Cavity

Backpain

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the comments. You've certainly given me some area's to look into, are there any books you would recommend to improve my knowledge on these issues? Risk wise my gut feeling is that it will be safe to climb. I base this mainly on the fact that its a beach and I tried to split some the other day and it was like iron. If it were a sycamore I'd be sticking a daft price on it. Thanks.

Thanks for all the comments. You've certainly given me some area's to look into, are there any books you would recommend to improve my knowledge on these issues? Risk wise my gut feeling is that it will be safe to climb. I base this mainly on the fact that its a beach and I tried to split some the other day and it was like iron. If it were a sycamore I'd be sticking a daft price on it. Thanks.

I might suggest your logic is flawed captain:001_smile:

And on the book front, search threads for hamadryads book club. That should get you started :thumbup:

There is a sign of mechanical load deviation, that sign is in the woundwood, it is thicker on the compression side. Angiosperm trees use tension wood as a rule, so a shift to compression wood (normal in gymnosperms) is a sign of stress loading, the limb is also going co dominant/phototropic and i would be in NO hessitation in reducing this limb especialy the vertical shoot trying to make for the lead role.

Looking at the reaction of the woundwood do you not consider it is down to the way the initial cut was made at the branch collar and hence good reaction growth rather than Angio/Gymnosperms.

Hopefully with photo's this time. Its the limb on the far right on the second photo

Whats been going on at the section on the trunk where it suddenly seems to go very much smaller dia, the point level with the apex of the building in the background and 2 mts above the fence line, it appear there may have another large limb?

Edited by treebloke