Recomend me a stove

Stereo

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if this is helpful but there is a hetas guide to stove efficiencies. http://www.hetas.co.uk/02_Hetas%20Guide%2014_Part_1_Appliances_060607.pdf

I don't know what the test conditions were but they all came out around the same. Clearview 500 seemed poor compared to the rest but I'm not sure how. They also claim that its a wood burner only but this isn't correct as its multifuel

Not sure if this is helpful but there is a hetas guide to stove efficiencies. http://www.hetas.co.uk/02_Hetas%20Guide%2014_Part_1_Appliances_060607.pdf

I don't know what the test conditions were but they all came out around the same. Clearview 500 seemed poor compared to the rest but I'm not sure how. They also claim that its a wood burner only but this isn't correct as its multifuel

HI lancstree thanks for that mate my euro heat stove 16kw is running 70% and i think it better then that when the fire goes out with a cast iron stove its still very hot 10/12 hrs plus after the fire out with a thin metal stove after 1 hr of the fire out the stove is cold :thumbdown: you get what you pay for all the best jon

Woodwarm. Villagers are (how do i put this without causing offence....) 'entry level' if you like. Step up to a woodwarm (there are others but these are the most efficient I have experienced) and check out far more heat output for much less fuel used.

Thanks, Woodwarm and Clearview seem a bit pricey for what we are after. Another option we have is to get a higher output burner in the house and move the Villager down to the shed with the optional 10,000btu boiler added at a later date which would probably be adequate.

That way we could get a higher out to water burner for the house and feed it into the heat store to complement the Esse.

Couldn't agree more.

I always get chatting when I'm log delivering and have seen clearly how one couple with an 8kW Woodwarm c/w backboiler running the house use less wood than another chap with a ~6.5 Stovax and no b/boiler. The higher the quality / price of the stove the cheaper it is to run - seems as simple as that. Chimney sweep we refer to says the same give or take the flue arrangements, wood etc.

My mate has just fitted a Parkray - got a silly discount on it and it's gorgeous!

Quality aint cheap. If you think youre getting a good efficient stove for £500 you are WRONG.

HI corylus sorry to say mate your right there mate if you get a cheaper stove you pay for it in the long run with more logs but it down too how long are going to stay in your home to get your cash back jon ps off out now to the pub jon :thumbup:

So, according to that scientific report, the expensive and excellent Clearview 500 is no better than my Villager A Flat. Both are poor and inneficient.

That said, when I fill our Villager up with dry wood and close the bottom inlets, it pumps out an enourmous amount of heat and burns for ages. It has the clean burn screen wash business which does seem to work.

More confused than ever now. I can get a big old Clarke stove (made in China probably) for a couple hundred quid as we sell their tools. I'm still not convinced I should spend near on 2 grand on a few bits of steel welded together and painted black.

Hmmm.