Grifola frondosa.

David oakman

So.............. instead of the programmed spec, I fracture reduced the second Oak which had six Grif brackets, and a much thinner residual wall thickness.

This one popped out above the surrounding canopy and targets include main wood path plus childrens enclosure.

A couple of sets of before and afters, not looking for points for the shaping of the canopy btw.

DSC00427.jpg.ae393082ee5988b173c4293fa8ca4f94.jpg

DSC00421.jpg.0c1058adad750aa10628103afb6b1b41.jpg

DSC00437.jpg.22a24faab7f093d3da794d2679c144c5.jpg

DSC00419.jpg.fbfd2720b5485dffa7984eb0241374b1.jpg

Now looking at that tree it appears that the presence of Grifola is likely to be a symptom of other issues that look like they could be more to do with the poor growing environment with extensive surface compaction and lack of organic soil horizon.

Which is consistent with a general issue I observed when I visited Highgate woods a year or so back.

The interesting thing about Grifola is that it has the ability to produce fruiting bodies that are associated with very deep decay, well below the soil surface, so the presence of the brackets you observe around the tree are not necessarily directly associated with decay in the immediate vicinity. This is where the mycelial tuber comes in, because it allows the fungus to generate the fruiting body on the surface of the soil which is well above the area of decay.

I think this is a classic example of how we can be distracted by the most obvious symptom and overlook the root of the problem (please excuse the pun). We have a desire to find simple answers to what are actually very complex issues that can rarely be resolved by a one off action or treatment.

Again I would stress the point that we are observing the symptoms expressed by an evolving process within an ecosystem that is adapted to change over decades and hundreds of years. We create problems for trees because our lives are considerably shorter and we expect change and effect to occur over a much shorter timeframe.

Meanwhile we inflict change on our environment, as individuals and as a population, at a rate which presents challenges for the organisms that we live with. This is particularly true of trees and this is one of the most significant issues we have to deal with as arborists.

Getting back to your tree in Highgate Woods, I know this is a very well used bit of woodland in a residential area, and the human pressures on the site are considerable. I would suggest that you do not get distracted by the presence of the Grifola on this one tree, because the bigger issue here is one that will be affecting almost all the trees in the wood.

However, I do agree that you are in a predicament where the presence of the Grifola does place you in a position were action is now implied by default so it has forced your hand to some respects. I would therefore suggest that you undertake a sympathetic reduction to bring the canopy below that of adjacent trees and the broader woodland.

Basically undertaking as little as you can, so that reasonable actions have been taken to manage the situation responsibly, while also continuing to consider the implications of the wider issues of the trees growing environment.

The rest really comes down the overall risk management policy of the site and how you balance the responsibilities of public health and safety against the value of the woodland as a multifaceted resource significant for its ecological and environmental sustainability.

Good luck, and if you have the budget I am not that far away.....

Regards, Andrew

Now looking at that tree it appears that the presence of Grifola is likely to be a symptom of other issues that look like they could be more to do with the poor growing environment with extensive surface compaction and lack of organic soil horizon.

Regards, Andrew

This may well be the key here....a stressed soilroot environment will no doubt play out with implications to the trees longterm well being....

Whilst I havent the experience of grifola and this is an eyeopener for a thread to me....I noticed two old wounds on the stem/bole above the root flare....Is it not conceivable that pathogen infection has modified the wood environment by way of enzyme action....if the chemical modifications are plausible it may go hand in hand with a stressed soil root environment to promote a pattern of decay not usually associated with the Grifola?

Interesting about the " tuber "...I was jus gettin my head around the exposure to O2 theory for fruiting bodies and consequently wondered if the woundwood seen on tension side contributed to the appearance of the brackets....?

After some of the work seen posted on this forum in this part of the world, the risk management policy is clearly of significance I am guessing....of course it would be....bit it would seem incongruous not to consider an approach which values the amenity stock as an investment as opposed to I dont know...just PC methods cos they are modern or summat!!!

I think you know what Im getting at>??!

• 2 years later...