What's on your bench today?

spudulike

I cleared the bench yesterday, just a handfull of machines on the premises waiting for spares, and few more waiting for the owners to pick them up.

It always goes quiet the week before christmas which suits me fine as I can get bang up to date and hopefully do some 'housekeeping'

The task for today and tomorrow is the annual 'PAT' testing. This is the testing of all portable electric equipment and is a requirement of the insurance, as well as HSE.

Portable equipment is anything that plugs in to a 13 amp socket, so not only drills and grinders, but extension leads , adaptors, chargers, phones etc.

Its amazing how many of these we have around the place, I've been on it all day, and tested over 50 appliances, and it looks like there will be as many tomorrow.

Its mundane, but it has to be done.

I cleared the bench yesterday, just a handfull of machines on the premises waiting for spares, and few more waiting for the owners to pick them up.

It always goes quiet the week before christmas which suits me fine as I can get bang up to date and hopefully do some 'housekeeping'

The task for today and tomorrow is the annual 'PAT' testing. This is the testing of all portable electric equipment and is a requirement of the insurance, as well as HSE.

Portable equipment is anything that plugs in to a 13 amp socket, so not only drills and grinders, but extension leads , adaptors, chargers, phones etc.

Its amazing how many of these we have around the place, I've been on it all day, and tested over 50 appliances, and it looks like there will be as many tomorrow.

Its mundane, but it has to be done.

ST Barrie of gardenkit:001_rolleyes:

Meanwhile the rest of us workshop on the edge of potential disaster!

The infuriating part of it is that it has to be done to validate the insurance, but I have only found three little problems today. But I suppose rectifying those could have averted a disaster.

Sounds like the perfect way to end for Xmas baz... Could think of 1000 things i would rather be doing. But as you said three faults that if left over Xmas could cost a business and a big claim.. If the ins would even pay out if the fire service investigated and found it to be the cause.. :thumbup:

BG85 blower just got delivered! it was an ebay xmas present to myself (arnt they the best kind)

It fires up and runs nice, will be putting it to work on Sunday then strip and clean as i am with all my saws. I actually enjoy doing an end of year tidy up on all my kit.

Anything i should know about these that tend to wear or break?

Anything i should know about these that tend to wear or break?

Ive seen loads with the big end bearing shot to pieces, and in turn wrecked the piston and cylinder.

I was told that not using the throttle lock helped prolong the life of them.

Sounds like the perfect way to end for Xmas baz... Could think of 1000 things i would rather be doing. But as you said three faults that if left over Xmas could cost a business and a big claim.. If the ins would even pay out if the fire service investigated and found it to be the cause.. :thumbup:

I always thought the PAT test was prodding them with a stick to find out if the cow pat was crusty or fresh:laugh1::lol:

Only joking - been involved with this test with the day job:sneaky2:

My Christmas job was stopping the vice moving by tightening it down a bit:lol:

Believe me guys, I would rather be fixing whats broke, or better still, servicing what isn't, rather than Pat testing. But it has to be done, and now its behind me for 12 months.

TBH, its the first time I have done it properly in 10 years, but now its done and documented it will be much easier in the future as some items will only need doing every 2 years. Just short of 100 items tested in all, but only around 20 actual power tools.