What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Is this considered a good idea then? I have read about it elsewhere but always wondered if it was safe?

The only time it isn't safe is when working near tinder dry undergrowth. Considering it has been raining pretty much every day for two years, I think we can say it is safe:thumbup::lol:

It's easy to look into the clutch and see if anything amiss there. Take bar and chain off and possibly the drum. The clutch is then visible. Look for knackerd springs or plates.

If not then go with compression etc

Already took bar an chain off tonight but saw a fancy clip holding the drum on an that put me off.

sent from my office in the field via s3

Already took bar an chain off tonight but saw a fancy clip holding the drum on an that put me off.

sent from my office in the field via s3

:lol::lol::lol:

The clip is easy. Use a small flat screwdriver to prize it off. It's half circle in shape and will spring off. Be sure to use a gloved hand and hold hand over the top or it may fly off accros the workshop and be gone forever.

Looks like the pic below. Get the screwdriver into on of the slot bits in it. Work it out slowly and you will see what needs doing. After this clip will be a washer and then the drum. The drum will have three springs and some plates with the clutch parts. See next post for pic :thumbup:

image.jpg.31896df39b6376629d7769e00aada733.jpg

If the clutch is badly worn, it would slip and the saw would rev up whilst the chain speed dies - I said it was the same as a cars clutch - first signs of it going are the engine revs rising and the car not increasing in speed especially on steep hills.

The saws revs would rise on big cuts with the chain slowing.

What you have here is a saw lacking power in big cuts, sounds like it needs a good health check - it may have had a partial seizure - it would be worth popping the muffler off and looking at the front surface of the piston - any deep vertical scores and it will need some work to sort it out!

Do a compression check - anythig over 145psi could be classed as OK!

From there, the fuel system needs a good going over!

One other thing worth checking is making sure the nose sprocket in the bar is turning freely!