What's on your bench today?

spudulike

On my bench today are two 200t barrels. My question is before i waste time trying to clean them, are these two cylinders compatible? They both have 1129 on them but one has different side lets. The barrel on the right is the original but has a little damage which are shown in the last two pictures.

Secondly are they of any use? I apologise on advance if it is hard to make out from thr pictures. The cause of failure is unknown on both of them.

20121104_125349.jpg.97c234599c9174dea5a9809426ecdbc6.jpg

20121104_125308.jpg.616d59501cc522ecaaf19914e749ac3d.jpg

20121104_125235.jpg.f6f41da03ae4e748441655b996fe7d82.jpg

20121104_125221.jpg.69303486bd136af2d41a87299e91b474.jpg

20121104_124932.jpg.29795372b94a545d8dd831b436cc8bb3.jpg

I've been in my workshop at home having a bit of a tidy up and found a Dolmar 120 super, 68cc and 8 hp that i had forgotten about, it just needed a coil and brakeband, found a good coil on another scrap Dolmar so now it runs but no brakeband so going to order one and while i,m waiting i,m going to have a play with the exhaust, a bit of work on the ports and a touch more compression, i do enjoy playing with little 2 stroke engines so simple compared to the V8 top fuel motors and drag bike engines and stock car engines i used to build. I,l take a few photos of the progress and post them.

On my bench today are two 200t barrels. My question is before i waste time trying to clean them, are these two cylinders compatible? They both have 1129 on them but one has different side lets. The barrel on the right is the original but has a little damage which are shown in the last two pictures.

Secondly are they of any use? I apologise on advance if it is hard to make out from thr pictures. The cause of failure is unknown on both of them.

Your post shows one of the few differences between the MS200T cylinder and the 020T. Both are compatible, the MS200T has split transfers to stop fuel air stacking in the transfer - it turns one large single transfer port in to two smaller ones, increases velocity and lessens the risk of static fuel air vapour. The MS200T has slightly faster pickup because of it....in standard trim:thumbup:

It looks like the bores arent too bad, slight witness mark of seizure, I would normally use a little chemical to shift the aluminium transfer but you may get away with rubbing it a bit with oil and semi course abrasive paper and end up with 400 grit - rub around the bore and not up and down and use sweeping movements around the bore and not in a small area.

Try that and see what it looks like - if you cant feel any high spots once done, the new piston will be just fine - In have got 150 - 170psi out of worse than that:thumbup:

Excellent help as always spudulike :thumbup: the Ms200t barrel on the left in the first photos are you referring to? Aluminium transfer being the black marks on the sides of the barrel?

Semi coarse abrasive paper 240grit fine?

Yes, the left hand one - the MS200T one. The black marks are just heat marks and are generally pretty flat and just a witness mark, the aluminium will be small streaks of aluminium on the bore in the direction of the piston travel, yours doesn't look too bad but you need to make sure these are gone otherwise you will damage the rings.

180 grit and 400 to finish is about right, 240 would probably do - you are just getting the bore smooth - the engine doesn't know what it looks like!

It is worth rubbing around the top end of the bore to SLIGHTLY hone it so the new piston beds in well!

In my workshop today a stihl blower I borrowed from work, in need of a bit of cleaning and servicing, new fuel filter, new carb kit and the muffler has been soaking in white spirit all day. There was so much crap welded on the inside! Up to 4mm thick of carbon and oil!