What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Today's bench was my mates garden bench and on it was his 440 with a sheared top av mounting bolt.

Removed carb, drilled out old bolt, ran for cover as it started raining, cut down a 4.5mm wood screw, fitted and rebuilt. Off to work in less than an hour including wimping out cos of the rain!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Arbtalk mobile app

Have decided that I have no preference against stihl or husky. They are ALL a PITA to work on.

Decided I hate chainsaws and they are the spawn of satan.

Anyone guess how far I got stripping a 025 before my brain kicked in and told me it was clam shell????

And the new husky topper can do one aswell. Silly stupid design.

Someone was asking about clam shell engines a short while ago.

Below is an ms170, good example. The whole engine comes out in one only held by four screws that are on the underneath of the saw.

So a "normal" type engine will come out with the bottom part of the crank case being part of the saw case.

Suffering from congenital idiocy amongst other hereditary diseases, could someone of a more technical bent please explain this clam shell lark to me?

Should help you out a bit.

image.jpg.a3cd4e079f0c307a393890eddd52be57.jpg

Suffering from congenital idiocy amongst other hereditary diseases, could someone of a more technical bent please explain this clam shell lark to me?

Generally on Pro saws,the crank case splits vertically in half and the cylinder has a flat base and sits on the top of it - it makes removal easier and means the crankcase needs no splitting to remove the cylinder.

On a clamshell crankcase, the lower crankcase is like a clamshell and clamps on to the bottom of the cylinder that acts as the upper part of the crankcase as well as the cylinder i.e. it isn't flat and sits in a plastic cradle that forms the chainsaw body - they are always a PITA to work on as the whole engine needs to come out and be split if cylinder or piston needs work!

Have decided that I have no preference against stihl or husky. They are ALL a PITA to work on.

Decided I hate chainsaws and they are the spawn of satan.

Anyone guess how far I got stripping a 025 before my brain kicked in and told me it was clam shell????

And the new husky topper can do one aswell. Silly stupid design.

Aww :( poor rich xD how far did you get? Most of the way? Has the harvester killed your passion for hand-held power?

Personally I don't see your hate of the 540, it's fairly straight forward in contrast to the 335/338xpt

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Aww :( poor rich xD how far did you get? Most of the way? Has the harvester killed your passion for hand-held power?

Personally I don't see your hate of the 540, it's fairly straight forward in contrast to the 335/338xpt

:laugh1::laugh1:

I got the front handle off, carb away and all the orange plastic off. Then my brain kicked in when I saw no screws holding the pot down.

Yeah I reckon machines are the only way forward. Forget all this climbing malarkey just grab it, cut it, and skid it. :thumbup:

So in other words you lot are lazy and only want the easier jobs?

And why can you not pimp a clamshell engine?

Because you can't skim the base to increase compression, the cylinder is usually open transfers, so you can't get as much power with porting, and generally working on the cylinder, bearings and other associated parts generally involves dismantling into a million and one plastic pieces! Pro saws are generally easier to work upon, with maintenance kept in mind when designing