What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Had my 660 in bits last night to replace the fuel tank as the repairs attempted on the cracked tank where still weeping fuel slowly

Finished it this morning with brute force on the metal handle near the chain brake to take the bend out of it so I could bolt it back on properly and fired it up to try it

Seems as I would expect for an 11 month old 660 that has only been used a half dozen times except now the chain is creeping slowly on tickover and it never used to

Chain tension is good any ideas if it is most likely a simple case of needing to reset tickover or is it more likely I have an air leak and haven't seated the carb against its rubber as well as it should be

Any suggestions welcome before I strip it again

Dave

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Check the clutch, there may be play in the carrier arms or a faulty spring, good way of checking is to let it idle with no brake, if it dings it's the clutch

Clutch didn't give me any reason to suspect it as saw is only 11 months old and I have only used it half a dozen times from new - just happened to drop a tree on it

It was running fine before replacing tank last night just leaking fuel - wasn't sure if removing the carb might have given it cause to alter its own tickover speed and other than removing absolute minimum to get tank off nothing else was touched and no settings altered (at least not knowingly)

Will have a look at clutch anyway as I guess the beating it took when a sycamore landed on it may have caused it a shock load stop and damaged something in the clutch

Just whipped the side cover off and had a look clutch looks fine all springs are ok everything in there looks as new

So I guess it is more likely down to carb or air leak somewhere

Is it a new tank breather? Or did you use the old one? As the fuel tank took a hit so could the breather or even the fuel pipe?

Tank breather was new as was fuel line, filter and pickup

I think for peace of mind I will have to take the carb off again and check everything is seated properly around where the rubber manifold comes through the plastic

If it still does it then I will adjust it down slightly

Just struggling in my head to think why it would have altered without any alterations being made unless there is an underlying reason such as an air leak between carb and manifold

I did check around manifold and impulse line and these both looked as new

The rubber was still nice and rubbery and flexible no sign of cracking or perishing and not had more than 5 or 6 tank fulls of fuel through the saw since I bought it new

Will give these another good check later as struggling to come up with much else to blame for the fault

I did check around manifold and impulse line and these both looked as new

The rubber was still nice and rubbery and flexible no sign of cracking or perishing and not had more than 5 or 6 tank fulls of fuel through the saw since I bought it new

Will give these another good check later as struggling to come up with much else to blame for the fault

So that the process of elimination then....

Tis quite possible that in pulling around to look over that I have dislodged something in that area and not noticed before reassembly

Just struggling to think what else it could be

I guess all suggestions are pointing that way so in bits again after some tea

Thanks for the assistance and suggestions just didn't want to strip it unnecessarily if anyone could think of anything else obvious that it may have been