Storage question

Lancstree

To make space in my back yard wood store I've moved a half of the seasoned wood into my next door neighbours' bin storage area. This is an old terraced house that has one of those bin holes which has a little wooden door that can be accessed from the alley. I'm just a bit unsure if the wood will absorb any dampness as there is virtually no light and the bricks seem a little bit damp. There doesn't seem to be any water getting in so I'm assuming that its just condensation build up or something. On the inside of the store you can see the original wooden roof but there is asbestos on top of that now. I once put some willow in there that was a bit wet and it soon started growing fungus on it but I'm hoping that dry wood will stay dry...

Does anyone else use this type of thing for storing wood?

My mate tried storing his logs in a coal hole on the side of his house, it kept the rain off the logs but also and most importantly the wind too. His logs would just go mouldy and not dry out like mine which are stored in a slatted side store with a tin roof and open front.

Its my view that the wind and sun are the best way of seasoning. That said if your logs are already seasoned then all you need to do is keep the rain off so it should work well.

If logs go in to a store and are drier than the surrounding environment they will absorb some of the extra moisture over a period of time. If the logs then don't get chance to get rid of that moisture and there is no air movement they are likely to go mouldy.

Ventilation is the key.

I'm getting nervous about my log store now. It's south facing but it's a brick built lean-to with brick walls on three sides. All the wood is up on pallets and I put some crate sides up the sides and back to allow for a bit more air flow.

It's a new store rescued from the old lean-to that we took down before it fell down so this is the first time of using it.

The bits I've tried burning have been nice and dry but I'm not sure about whats at the back and bottom of the pile.

I may have to pull the lot out to see. I don't want to find out it's all damp and mouldy in the middle of winter. :001_huh: