Help Identifying this Fungi and Cause of Orange Sap? Please

MAXK

I'd say a soil level alteration (up) will have been a factor here

no, look at the root crown, and the ridges at the root soil interface, and the leaf mold built up. i think depending on the age of the building a root was severed and it has taken 10 years for the resulting connective tissues to reach back into the root crown/stem area.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 years wow :001_smile: how long usually does it take for signs of root damage via building works to show?? or is it species dependant and size/which root etc....

which picture shows the big increment please??

Just had my book out and had a look :biggrin: causes brown rot the fungus

i enjoy hiding in the shadows on these threads :thumbup1:

10 years wow :001_smile: how long usually does it take for signs of root damage via building works to show?? or is it species dependant and size/which root etc....

which picture shows the big increment please??

Just had my book out and had a look :biggrin: causes brown rot the fungus

i enjoy hiding in the shadows on these threads :thumbup1:

come out of the darkness padawon!:lol:

where did you hear colybia causes brown rot?

and the increment strip crikey i dont know which photo now, i will go see and permalink it

come out of the darkness padawon!:lol:

where did you hear colybia causes brown rot?

and the increment strip crikey i dont know which photo now, i will go see and permalink it

oops, wrong page in the book :blushing: back into the shadows i go lol

That was for Coniophora puteana :blushing:

Collybia fusipies - The affected roots can become extensively decayed, but the decay rarely, if ever, extends above ground level. Little is known about this type of decay.

Principles of tree hazard assessment and management, Hama :)

oops, wrong page in the book :blushing: back into the shadows i go lol

That was for Coniophora puteana :blushing:

Collybia fusipies - The affected roots can become extensively decayed, but the decay rarely, if ever, extends above ground level. Little is known about this type of decay.

Principles of tree hazard assessment and management, Hama :)

yes, we know very little about the colybia, i am increasingly of the view it is just a secondary invader of already compromised/stressed trees, this I believe is the main reason we see it in combination with fistulina colonisations in quercus robur, both species specific, though we do see them on beech too, just as we do inonotus dryadeus but again like the colybia I. dryadeus is a species specific coloniser:001_cool:

I have yet to see colybia before other more serious issues on a tree. food for thought

we know very little about the Collybia, i am increasingly of the view it is just a secondary invader of already compromised/stressed trees, this I believe is the main reason we see it in combination with Fistulina colonisations in quercus robur ... I have yet to see Collybia before other more serious issues on a tree.

I have seen rapid and extensive damage done to the roots and trunk bases (below ground level) of Quercus rubra, which is not associated with Fistulina hepatica (or Inonotus dryadeus), so in this case it seems to be a primairy invader, because it attacks and fruits without before and after presence of other parasites.

I have seen rapid and extensive damage done to the roots and trunk bases (below ground level) of Quercus rubra, which is not associated with Fistulina hepatica (or Inonotus dryadeus), so in this case it seems to be a primairy invader, because it attacks and fruits without before and after presence of other parasites.

good to know, but that is something i have yet to see.:thumbup1:

Thank you for your comments all, Hamadryad as it happens the next picture down is exactly that and was taken to show the Fungi, Rot, Orange Sap Rot (so I am told) all in the same picture. The Fungi itself is difficult to see at this size and resolution but is just below centre in the vertical and near the far right of the picture, the trestles were placed there by me as a means of protecting the Fungi the reason being the gardener has been knocking them over and disposing of them for a lot of years (10+) in and around this area to stop the 4 Daschunds living there from coming into contact with them just in case - I only became aware of this recently. The ground surrounding the base of the tree HAS NOT been altered except to say that a holly surrounding the tree was recently removed and I guess that the gentleman that did so raked the area to a reasonable level, that may have dropped the level but not by much if at all but certainly has not increased the level.

I did today have a Tree Officer inspect the tree and although the Fungi looks dark and shrivelled now he felt it was Collybia Fusipes, also we removed the soft bark and Orange Sap Rot that was present between the two buttresses leftmost on the same picture I previously mentioned - there was quite a lot of it and the officer felt that it was a root infection from the roots up to this point, also there is evidence of recent cracking between the tight bifurcation but the large limb is receiving support from a tie branch that has grown horizontally from a branch further up.

As a final point I did find today another Single specimen of Fungi about 12m from the tree and measuring about 15cm possibly a bit more in diameter across the top, this compared with the Collybia Fusipes looks smooth, well formed not messy and gnarly and I have included the pictures, they are not that great as they were taken using my phone and I took the pictures close up to get better detail when and if zooming in.

Again you knowledge and input are very gratefully received. Many Thanks

P.S. I will take a picture showing more context and of the whole tree and hopefully better pictures of the other Fungi.

59765e338c758_photo(10).jpg.ac6ebcb8afbcd35dbfba023e8ac8b4e7.jpg

59765e3388b53_photo(9).jpg.3b2922723f625a75f0fcec87d2307eef.jpg

59765e3386911_photo(8).jpg.27235f574f81c2217ca69ca6d3ae8a97.jpg

59765e3382d36_photo(7).jpg.f52a7514c8c293a873da9b180421ecd4.jpg

59765e337fadf_photo(6).JPG.d84787558678c7551bb95f1ab6586ec2.JPG

The building was constructed in 1980 and is 11.5m from the tree, the garden has had little if any use other than mowing for more than 20 years, no building work has been done since the original house was built or heavy machinery or even any digging apart from a small rose garden 8m away that was planted again over 20 years ago. After this there is only a boundary fence that was replaced 6 weeks ago.

Hope this sheds some more light.

Hello again, O.k your new fungi is 99.95% ceretsain to be aminita rubescens, the blusher, a benificial mycorrhizae. however, what I can also see within the shots are the rhizomorphs of (I knew they was coming!) a parasitic armillaria spp, probably mellea in that situation.

beech trees can and do often get over a simple infection of one root, the connected branch often dies in the canopy and a black plate forms around the edges of the cavity that forms. if your tree is REALLY as healthy as it appears to be (havent seen crown yet) it may survive this.

There is a treatment worth trying which involves airspading out all the rhizomorphs that it is possibly to find and replacing the soil around the root crown only with a mix of perlite and sand at 50 50, this keeps the cambium at the root crown dryer and less vulnerable to further attack. This would also help de compact ground if it is compacted and offers an opportunity to asses the roots of the tree.

Where are you and this tree?