VT

Mark Bolam

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tends to drop you slightly everytime you put your weight onto it, which you get used to. also sometimes doesn't seem to grab at all, but thats a matter of playing around with different cord. i find it keeps your fingers too close to your line, so you can't be too mad on decents. seems to twist itself making it jammy. i think the hitch climber might have sorted that problem, i changed to the LJ before that came out though. but it is the hitch i'd use over any other. something that allows the use of one hand rather than two has to be superiour. otherwise we'd still be walking on all fours

Hi guys sorry to but in but im at this moment are trying the small system with a fixed sided pulley.

The problem im getting is that its abit tight to get connected onto my harness, I mean that by Ive got the butterfly harness and as most of you will know the sliding ring on the front is quite small.

At the moment im having to use a gecko for the knot and pulley which goes in the ring and a mongoose for the spliced eye end of my rope which i connect to the front belt along side the ring.

Is there another way to connect without having to use two carabeaners

Hi guys sorry to but in but im at this moment are trying the small system with a fixed sided pulley.

The problem im getting is that its abit tight to get connected onto my harness, I mean that by Ive got the butterfly harness and as most of you will know the sliding ring on the front is quite small.

At the moment im having to use a gecko for the knot and pulley which goes in the ring and a mongoose for the spliced eye end of my rope which i connect to the front belt along side the ring.

Is there another way to connect without having to use two carabeaners

Try this as an alternative, works very well.

http://http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=3023&highlight=hitchclimber+alternative

I find that the hitch climber will self tend ( as will my alternative ) but only when there's a reasonable amount of rope underneath it. I like the self tending and have been experimeiting with different hiches on the hitchclimber to help improve it. Personally I did'nt rate the VT, but then there are so many different variations and I only tried one. This week I'll be trying the icicle, I've had a play with it and I think it'll be pretty good.

BTW If you climb on a blakes / prussik and have "not got on" with other systems, try a 1.8 m length of cord with two double fishermans for the krab and a martin hitch. The martin is basicaly a variation of the blakes, tied with a double ended cord and with the "tail" under one wrap instead of two. Once you get used to climbing on it and tying it just shorten it and add a pulley. This is how I weaned Andrew my right hand man off his blakes, and like me he'd never go back.

what length of cord untied do you lot use for a vt, i like 3 wraps and 3 braids and or 4 wraps and 3 braids, also do you have the end of your legs after the last braid so that they are ontop of the rope or on the bottom?

have my legs underneath but need to try the other way,4 wraps and 3 braids.unsure on total length till i need my next 1 and thinking of going shorter