PTI reading

Bundle 2

Hi, If you have done this certification can you give me some pointers as to what I might I read in advance of the course....

The obvious things would seem to be BS3998

BS5837 & BS8516

I know what their blurb says re: prerequisite knowledge.

What I dont know is the level of knowledge you are expected to have in reality....statements like " detailed" are not very quantitative if you take my meaning.

Suggestions then as to a reading list would be v. useful....Thank you

( ps..I just noticed there appears to be no smiley for a simple thank-you on this forum!!!!)

You will be provided with a pretty good course work book, and the AA Guidance Note 7 : Tree Surveys - A Guide to Good Practice (Faye/Dowson/Helliwell)

It is recommended that you get hold of -

Principals of Tree Hazard Assessment and Management,

Body Language of Trees,

Diagnosis of Ill health in Trees,

Veteran Trees: a guide to risk and responsiblity,

Modern Arboriculture,

Manual of Wood Decay in Trees.

I'm sure you probably already have some if not all of these.

If you need the ISBN numbers pm me.

I found that these and many others were actualy supplied to share during the course, which I attended at Merrist Wood with Guy Watson.

Definately bring with you good Fungi reference material.

Hope this is of some help.

I'm sitting my PTI exam tomorrow, I'll let you know what it's like. I'm thinking pretty hard.

I've been brushing up on my fungal id's lately but yesterday thay gave us a mock test, on a whole load of dried wisened specimens that looked nothing like those in the books. I only got 4 out of 10:scared1:

I've failed it at least once, waiting to hear how I did on my second attempt. I'm not to hopefull as I know I got two of the four fungi wrong and you need 70% to pass. I had them upside down, confused the hell out of me!

As I've said in previous threads it is not a course to teach you anything it is an examination with a couple of days previous preparation. You shouldn't worry about spelling however as you are allowed books for the ID and Inspection part. What you need is a dried up old fungi ident book however as that's what you get, not the nice fresh specimens displayed in all my fungi books.

The exam was quite hard, but I did pass. There are three parts to it: a written exam which covers all sorts of things, tree biology, the law , Matheck, Shigo etc. Then a fungal id, four dried samples, you need to get all four right otherwise you need 90% on everything else to pass:sad:

Finally you have to write two tree reports, you have 20 minutes for each one, If you miss a major fault then you fail the whole thing regardless.

On ther plus side if you use the study guide and already have a reasonable knowledge of tree biology and get lucky with the fungi ( as I did ) then its not too bad.

• 2 weeks later...