advice on going from splitter to processor

Stephen Blair

cheers guys. i like the look of billys. Big rings are easy and i have 2 vertical splitters which deals with that stuff great, its the small light long stuff that drives me nuts.

Billeting - it's the future :thumbup1:

If I was in the market for another Processor I'd be hard pushed not to go for a Farmi - regardless that I used to work for the one of the importers - within minutes of using the new style ones (like what Billy has) I was convinced. The controls are a little different to how everyone else does it but it works well once you get you're head round it. It made my old Hawk look proper slow and it seemed to take bendy stuff well as it has a big throat on it.

There's a couple of good vids on youtube - might be under superpilke or mastersplit rather than Farmi Processor.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris - was it you that did the demo for me at Wetherby? As you can see I went ahead and bought it and its great - especially the log lift!!!!

Rob - it takes up to 15", that's the main reason I went for the Farmi, the Japa only did 12". It does cope ok with the odd bend, you just have to be patient with it. It's petrol powdered, though I would have prefered another diesel, but they don't do one.

Its road towable which really make the difference for me because I go out on hire with it for other firewood merchants. The photos are from a job last week, we did about 12 ton in 8 hours. It works great on saw logs and you can put about 8 foot straight in with no trouble.

the billeting of big stuff is hard going on the back Chris, wrestling them onto the splitter. I wonder if the winch would be compatable thats on the new 1

I don't know if it would just bolt on, I'd guess not though as the newer ones look to be made a bit different. Wouldn't have thought it would take too much to fabricate somethign to suit though.

Know what you mean about big stuff, but I found that stuff small enough to go through the processor was generally not too bad to handle and the four way would make billeting very fast.

Chris - was it you that did the demo for me at Wetherby? As you can see I went ahead and bought it and its great - especially the log lift!!!!

That'd be me :001_smile:

Glad you're getting on well with it :thumbup1:

I think I left just about the same time you got yours.

Edited by Chris Sheppard

I also got a farmi processor earlier this year as i'd had enough of going through cordwood with log-splitter and chainsaw (billeting with splitter not too bad but sawing it up was tiring and hard on the chainsaw). It makes a dramatic difference, the controls are easy to use etc. its worth it if you've got a lot of under 12" cordwood to go through.

cheers guys. i like the look of billys. Big rings are easy and i have 2 vertical splitters which deals with that stuff great, its the small light long stuff that drives me nuts.

When you say small stuff if you mean 8" a processor will really help you. If you mean 2-3" back to the drawing board. Maybe one of those flywheel type machines that seem to half chop and half smash may be better. I would buy a machine that is rated at least 2" bigger than you need because at full capacity they can drop awkward, Jam the splitter, Or produce some bigger logs than you hoped for.

my 2p worth...

as steve says above go for the biggest capacity processor that you can. I have a Hakki 370 and now really wish i'd gone for the 420.

to get the most out of the machine you must have a log deck to feed it and a machine to load the deck. without these, productivity will be little better than using a chainsaw and a vertical splitter.

with the deck and loader it is possible for one man to process up to 20m3 in a day if the feedstock is reasonably straight and clean.