Are logs a sideline or a full time business ?

Dave Martin

Not true.

Woolworth tried moving with the times and got into a new business model that involved selling the property off and renting it back.

It was this new innovation that caused their down fall, if they had stuck to the old tried and tested model maybe they would still be trading.

Selling the freehold and leasing back is normally the death throes

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is answering the phone a sign of professionalism??

Did they have an answer phone?? Just leave a message and they will get back to you.

The logs being dry would be my test of their professionalism.

PS, is ring other firms under false pretense very professional??:sneaky2:

I have never actually managed to do it under false pretence because they never answer :biggrin: and yes answering the phone is a sign of a professional business.

did woolworths ever sell logs???????????

selling firewood is not easy, there is alway's 'a bloke down the pub' who will do a trailer load for 50 quid !!!!!!

One day people may realise that a trailer load is not a sensible measure of quality or quantity.

I sell by the cubic meter, I am certainly not the cheapest around here. I set my standards at the beging,

good quality logs and excellent service = Happy repeat customers and a steady cash flow with reasonable profit return

did woolworths ever sell logs???????????

selling firewood is not easy, there is alway's 'a bloke down the pub' who will do a trailer load for 50 quid !!!!!!

One day people may realise that a trailer load is not a sensible measure of quality or quantity.

I sell by the cubic meter, I am certainly not the cheapest around here. I set my standards at the beging,

good quality logs and excellent service = Happy repeat customers and a steady cash flow with reasonable profit return

Is your name Kevin and do you own a caravan :sneaky2:

I have never actually managed to do it under false pretence because they never answer :biggrin: and yes answering the phone is a sign of a professional business.

I disagree.

When people work at heights and with machinery its not aways possible, in fact some may say to do so would be unprofessional.

I agree that their should be a suitable way for people to log their inquiry and that inquiry should be responded to within a reasonable time frame, but I don't think it needs to be answered by a person.

I disagree.

When people work at heights and with machinery its not aways possible, in fact some may say to do so would be unprofessional.

I agree that their should be a suitable way for people to log their inquiry and that inquiry should be responded to within a reasonable time frame, but I don't think it needs to be answered by a person.

Each type of business is different with differing expectations from the customer. An answering machine is acceptable for a tree surgeon but not for high volume log sales. Most customers would simply move on.

Each type of business is different with differing expectations from the customer. An answering machine is acceptable for a tree surgeon but not for high volume log sales. Most customers would simply move on.

OK, I think we're getting to the truth now, you equate size with professionalism.

I don't, I would sooner deal with a smaller outfit where my custom really counts.

I dont know if you can make a full time business depends on your area and how many people are doing it. I have a rule dont buy more cord than you can afford to sit on till next year. Because if the winds come in oct and blow all the trees over you wont be selling it. At £52 a tonne + vat delivered I cant afford to sit on much. The last two winters have been good especially with the popularity of woodburners going in.

i find if you dont answer that phone straight away the customer simply moves straight on to next ad without even puttin the phone down for a sec.... i'm talkin of dozens and dozens of times i'll ring the no back within 20 secs of gettin a missed call to find the line engaged and when i do get through i'd say 7 outta 10 times they've gone somewhere else... this also happens with customers ringing up for skips... yeah you'l get few that want to shop around and get 2or 3 prices but not often in my experience...

OK, I think we're getting to the truth now, you equate size with professionalism.

I don't, I would sooner deal with a smaller outfit where my custom really counts.

As I open my fifth beer and begin to type after a very hard day..... NO I DONT EQUATE SIZE WITH ANYTHING. I merely belief that whatever business you run or own you should do it in a professional manner and answering the phone is the very basics so if you cant get that right forget it.