McCulloch Titan 70 cylinder and piston needed!

RockingDad

Hi everyone,

Can anyone here help with these parts or where to get them? Does anyone have one of these saws in a junk pile that they would be willing to break or sell the spares/repairs saw? I know it may not be the best saw in the world but after lending out (when will I learn) the piston and Cylinder is shot and the saw has hardly seen any real use.

Have gone to my local engineering place and they are beyond repair and I can't find spares anywhere uness I import which is very pricey :sad:.

Here's hoping....

RockingDad

NOS? I've been in touch with Al on another forum and he said he's only heard of one and thats the one he has. I've been quoted £90 for the cylinder and piston by Simmonds saws but picked the saw up second hand, don;t really know what it's worth and it may be better putting that money towards a Stihl or something where parts or more plentiful should they be needed. Theres just something about this saw that won't let me walk away from it.... stupidity probably.

RockingDad

Hi everyone,

Can anyone here help with these parts or where to get them? Does anyone have one of these saws in a junk pile that they would be willing to break or sell the spares/repairs saw? I know it may not be the best saw in the world but after lending out (when will I learn) the piston and Cylinder is shot and the saw has hardly seen any real use.

Have gone to my local engineering place and they are beyond repair and I can't find spares anywhere uness I import which is very pricey :sad:.

Here's hoping....

RockingDad

Hi, i launched the Titan 70 in the UK back in the 80's and for those who never tried them don't knock it.

Call Pete Simmonds 01428 707269 of Simmonds Saws in Petworth, he still has some parts and several brand new saws left last time i spoke with him.

Tell him Les sent you.

For any old McCulloch parts try him first, they were the McCulloch parts distributors for the UK for 50 years.

Les

Hi Les,

Thanks for the info, thats really helpful. I contacted Simmonds Saws and they have the piston and Cylinder for about £90 delivered. Now the thing is this. Is this saw worth putting that sort of cash into it or am I better off putting it towards something like else? Do you know what it retailed for approx back then. Is it a keeper or should I cut my losses. I machined the damaged to piston a bit and put it all back together. compression is crap and I couldn't get it running it only backfired a couple of times but it is fuelling (plug wet etc) and has a great spark so no real reason why a new cylinder and piston shouldn't get the saw back in order I guess.

The saw is in pretty good condition and doesn't seem to have has a hard life at all.

RockingDad

Hi Les,

Thanks for the info, thats really helpful. I contacted Simmonds Saws and they have the piston and Cylinder for about £90 delivered. Now the thing is this. Is this saw worth putting that sort of cash into it or am I better off putting it towards something like else? Do you know what it retailed for approx back then. Is it a keeper or should I cut my losses. I machined the damaged to piston a bit and put it all back together. compression is crap and I couldn't get it running it only backfired a couple of times but it is fuelling (plug wet etc) and has a great spark so no real reason why a new cylinder and piston shouldn't get the saw back in order I guess.

The saw is in pretty good condition and doesn't seem to have has a hard life at all.

RockingDad

If you don't repair it sell the chassis and parts to Neil at the Garden machine centre station rd Robertsbridge E Sussex as he needs a donor saw for parts i'm sure it's worth about £25.00- £35.00 to him. plus carriage.

As for repair a Titan 70 running well will earn you a few quid more than the £90 asked for so you weigh that up, personally i would do it.

Or put the money towards another saw, back in the 80's the Titan 70 retailed for about £300 which was a lot then, i used to have 03 serial no as my demo saw, wicked with a 15" bar on it !

It was designed by Pino Todderi whose father was a Moto Guzzi designer and invited us to their factory in Lake Como one year.

• 1 month later...

Afternoon,

Thanks to Les Cork and Simmonds Saws.... piston and cylinder kit arrived this morning and only ordered it about half four yesterday afternoon! Great service and would definately recommend them.

I'm going to have a go at rebuilding the saw myself, if only to have the satisfaction of turning a dead saw into a working one. There is a rubber o ring seal at the base of the cylinder so i guess this is in place of a gasket.

Any tips for rebuild? what's the best stuff to use for greasing the bearings? I've got standard grease for U joints on Jeep axles etc.

Any things to consider for first startup after reassembly? Yes these may be noob questions but never worked on a two stroke in this manner before so all hints tips help gratefully received.

Also cheers to Spud i've pm'd you.

RockingDad

Re bearings, use a little two stroke oil on hte small end, big end and crank bearings. I use a High melting point grease on most other areas and copperslip on the sprocket and silicone lube on the recoil.

Like I said in my PM, be sure to fix the route cause of the original seizure, it is very difficult to guide someone without all th ekit and skills but feel free to ask questions as you go along.