Smoking FS400, FS 450, KM 100 and BG 85

Matthew Arnold

Its probably nothing to worry about but after a long stint of being run full throttle I have noticed that they all smoke from around the cooling fins and especially around the exhaust. I think it is just spooge burning off but sometimes it has the smell of burning wood especially from the strimmers. Its definately not the head gasket blowing up.

Its probably nothing to worry about but after a long stint of being run full throttle I have noticed that they all smoke from around the cooling fins and especially around the exhaust. I think it is just spooge burning off but sometimes it has the smell of burning wood especially from the strimmers. Its definately not the head gasket blowing up.

Are you asking for advice or answering your own question:confused1:

Probably grime on the cooling fins burning off, would recommend cleaning the muck off as in time it will build up and stop the cylinder cooling properly.

You may have a broken or damaged exhaust gasket letting unburnt fuel oil come in to cotact with the cylinder.

Cheers Spud. That will be my job tomorrow afternoon. The FS450 had the exhaust rattle loose (dunno why or how) but it was put back together. The right hand bolt on the FS450 was constantly turning round and wouldn't tighten. As it is a steel bolt going into an alu block i didn't want to keep turning to completely shred the threads. But will strip it down again and use our super stiff nylon brush to clear it out again.

Stripped the FS450 this afternoon and found the exhaust gasket had disintergrated. We had a spare one so fitted it and it doesnt rattle at all. I cleaned the cooling fins with a stiff nylon bristle brush on our drill. It is now almost as clean as it was when we picked it up. I stripped it down so the driveshaft was clear of the engine block and noticed the clutch was worn (thanks to a previous colleague using cord about 2 ft long for cutting nettles and docks) so that is now ordered. Next job the FS400.

Stripped the FS450 this afternoon and found the exhaust gasket had disintergrated. We had a spare one so fitted it and it doesnt rattle at all. I cleaned the cooling fins with a stiff nylon bristle brush on our drill. It is now almost as clean as it was when we picked it up. I stripped it down so the driveshaft was clear of the engine block and noticed the clutch was worn (thanks to a previous colleague using cord about 2 ft long for cutting nettles and docks) so that is now ordered. Next job the FS400.

Good stuff - glad you are getting there - I find many use their kit until it drops and then complain bitterly about it. All this kit needs a bit of TLC to give it the lifespan it should have - sprockets and sprocket bearings are often abused - generally knocking out chains early in the process!

Good stuff - glad you are getting there - I find many use their kit until it drops and then complain bitterly about it. All this kit needs a bit of TLC to give it the lifespan it should have - sprockets and sprocket bearings are often abused - generally knocking out chains early in the process!

Every month i personally strip everything down whether its been used or not and make a note of anything to check next time or if parts need ordering. We just put fresh air filters on the FS400, 450, and BG85 so they should be good for another 12 months. On our chainsaws (mainly the MS341s and 362s) we replace the sprocket each year as they get some hard use. Either tree felling or stump cutting.